opening ports & i feel dumb

From: amg (ph33rful_at_optonline.net)
Date: 08/23/03

    Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 21:37:18 -0400
    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

    recently switched to debian after years with windows, i am enjoying the experience, although at times i get frustrated - i know that is my fault and not my computer (or operating system - or linux - or debian - or yours)

    my current dilemma is with ports:

    understanding them, and working with them

    i use a program called edonkey - which requires port(s) 4662, 4665, and 4661 (i don't think that last two are important as the first) to be open and available

    using nmap i see that several ports are already open accepting connections - and these ports have certain programs or services assigned to them
    (i don;t think that supplying the open ports is important - but i could be wrong)

    while looking at "/etc/inet.dconf" and "/etc/services" i see that these programs and/or services have to be "declared" or "assigned" to a certain port number (or actually vice versa)
    (side question: is my understanding of this false?)

    i tried to input "edonkey" along with the corresponding port number inside the two aformentioned configurations files

    i entered this into "/etc/inetd.conf":
    edonkey stream tcp nowait amg /usr/local/bin/edonkey/donkey0.50.1
    (please use your imagination for the other two ports)

    and this into "/etc/services":
    edonkey 4662/tcp edonkey # edonkey
    (again, your imagination is required)

    i then rebooted (just to make sure it was read correctly (special reminder: i am new at this))

    and the corresponding ports were not opened - or available (using nmap)

    doing research on the web (mainly google - along with lists.debian.org - and some tldp.org) i come across information pertaining to iptables and ipchains, and other firewall information.

    i dont have ipchains or iptables installed, so assigning them access would accomplish nothing (correct?)

    so, my question (along with the inter-dispersed) and my assumption is i don't have a firewall running on my computer (from what i can tell - very bad - but please limit your response to what's coming up next), certain ports are in a closed state, although my declarations in the two configuration files seem(to me) to be correct.

    do i need to start edonkey as a service to allow it access to listen to a port (using it in a certain runlevel and/or a symbolic link inside that specific runlevel)?
    (and if so how would i do this)

    is there another configuration file i should be editing?

    does debian come with a firewall as default? from what i can tell it doesn't - and i don't remember selecting one from the initial install - and certainly don't remember downloading one using "apt-get"

    if it doesn't how do i allow my computer to listen to a certain port - and allow access to this specific port(s).

    --
    if the above question (it might not seem like one) is too much of a pain to read (not knowing what i am doing doesn't help me ask a question in the best manner)
    i'm assuming it can be summed up with this:

    • Re: RWW interal not external
      ... But if I'm understanding you correctly only the address I specified will ... >> is there a good way to verify that ports are being forwarded to the ... >> through the router just fine for SMTP, I can verify that with telnet from ... >> I've seen serveral posts on this issue, but it seems folks rarely post ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: opening ports & i feel dumb
      ... > recently switched to debian after years with windows, i am enjoying ... > my current dilemma is with ports: ... > understanding them, and working with them ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: Anyone making money on Sirius?
      ... I know that the ports are disabled by default. ... It's my understanding ... Comcast is supposed to roll out TIVO software this year. ... I know a few people that work for Comcast in the Denver area. ...
      (alt.fan.howard-stern)
    • Re: Newbie questions about updating
      ... Am I understanding ... Another reason is to limit possible damage is ... and the ports every night at midnight. ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: AW: Re: nmap -sS SYN-SCAN does not find all open Ports?
      ... Network Security Engineer and Analyst ... that there is actually no problem with nmap. ... ports that are not listed by nmap are in state closed. ... Could it somehow be related to my backend firewall? ...
      (Security-Basics)