opening ports & i feel dumb

From: amg (ph33rful_at_optonline.net)
Date: 08/23/03

    Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 21:37:18 -0400
    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

    recently switched to debian after years with windows, i am enjoying the experience, although at times i get frustrated - i know that is my fault and not my computer (or operating system - or linux - or debian - or yours)

    my current dilemma is with ports:

    understanding them, and working with them

    i use a program called edonkey - which requires port(s) 4662, 4665, and 4661 (i don't think that last two are important as the first) to be open and available

    using nmap i see that several ports are already open accepting connections - and these ports have certain programs or services assigned to them
    (i don;t think that supplying the open ports is important - but i could be wrong)

    while looking at "/etc/inet.dconf" and "/etc/services" i see that these programs and/or services have to be "declared" or "assigned" to a certain port number (or actually vice versa)
    (side question: is my understanding of this false?)

    i tried to input "edonkey" along with the corresponding port number inside the two aformentioned configurations files

    i entered this into "/etc/inetd.conf":
    edonkey stream tcp nowait amg /usr/local/bin/edonkey/donkey0.50.1
    (please use your imagination for the other two ports)

    and this into "/etc/services":
    edonkey 4662/tcp edonkey # edonkey
    (again, your imagination is required)

    i then rebooted (just to make sure it was read correctly (special reminder: i am new at this))

    and the corresponding ports were not opened - or available (using nmap)

    doing research on the web (mainly google - along with lists.debian.org - and some tldp.org) i come across information pertaining to iptables and ipchains, and other firewall information.

    i dont have ipchains or iptables installed, so assigning them access would accomplish nothing (correct?)

    so, my question (along with the inter-dispersed) and my assumption is i don't have a firewall running on my computer (from what i can tell - very bad - but please limit your response to what's coming up next), certain ports are in a closed state, although my declarations in the two configuration files seem(to me) to be correct.

    do i need to start edonkey as a service to allow it access to listen to a port (using it in a certain runlevel and/or a symbolic link inside that specific runlevel)?
    (and if so how would i do this)

    is there another configuration file i should be editing?

    does debian come with a firewall as default? from what i can tell it doesn't - and i don't remember selecting one from the initial install - and certainly don't remember downloading one using "apt-get"

    if it doesn't how do i allow my computer to listen to a certain port - and allow access to this specific port(s).

    --
    if the above question (it might not seem like one) is too much of a pain to read (not knowing what i am doing doesn't help me ask a question in the best manner)
    i'm assuming it can be summed up with this: