RH to Debian conversion help

From: Scott (ReplyToListOnly_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 10/03/03

    To: "Debian" <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
    Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 15:53:56 -0500

    Greetings:

    Can someone familiar with debian and Redhat help me wth these
    configuration questions?:

    As one familiar with RH knows, Redhat has may of it's configuration
    files located in /etc/sysconfig. That favor is gone with debian,
    which is fine, I just need to figure out where everything went.
    Before I spend hours tracking these down, I hoped someone already knew
    and could tell me where the configs are for these items normally used
    in RH's /etc/sysconfig/xxx?:

    1. authconfig - used to turn on/off MD5 passwords

    2. hwconf - shows what hardware is in place

    3. init - toggle boot/shotdown text style (color or not)

    4. syslog - syslog configuration including syslogd options

    I think I found the rest I need.

    Thanks as always very much for the time to help.

    Cheers,
    Scott

    • Re: [Apache] "Deny" directives silently ignored in config files [SOLVED]
      ... package (Debian Squeeze). ... "Deny from XXX" directives were correctly taken into ... I did find the guilty lines in the configuration file: ... I tried disabling .htaccess files on the server, ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: which MTA to choose for a simple client?
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: What are some common problems when using Debian GNU / =?UTF-8?Q?LINUX=3F?=
      ... Please provide some examples of common problems when using Debian GNU ... Forums are a good starting point to gather informations, they often contain solutions, and the fun point is that you do not need to limit yourself to debian forums. ... When I have switched from windows to debian, I thought that separating software configurations from their resources from their binaries... ... But when you become used to this, you think the windows' way is wrong, since it does not allow, by example, to save and restore system's configuration as easily. ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: [Apache] "Deny" directives silently ignored in config files
      ... both in .htaccess files and in system-wide configuration ... from Debian Lenny to Debian Squeeze, ... configuration that is currently working and prevent users accessing the ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: is it rational to close the 139 port
      ... Debian sshd can be run safely with the default install. ... The recommended "almost worry-free" configuration for SSH nowadays ... is to have it refuse any sort of password-based autentication, ... I'm with the Debian maintainer regarding logging in as root and have ...
      (Debian-User)