Re: Installing NVIDIA Drivers

From: Roberto Sanchez (rcsanchez97_at_yahoo.es)
Date: 10/23/03

    Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 15:30:34 -0400
    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

    Stefan Seifert wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I want to install the nvidia drivers NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2.run.
    > But when I run it in ends with an error:
    >
    > ERROR: Unable to find the kernel header files for the currently running
    > kernel.
    > Please make sure you have installed the kernel header files for
    > your
    > kernel; on Red Hat Linux systems, for example, be sure you have
    > the
    > 'kernel-source' rpm installed. If you know the correct kernel
    > header
    > files are installed, you may specify the kernel include path with
    > the
    > '--kernel-include-path' commandline option.
    >
    > I'm using kernel 2.4.22. I've build it correctly also the kernel headers
    > kernel-headers-2.4.22-1 und *-k7 are installed, also the kernel-source.
    >
    > Don't know what to do can someone help me please?
    >
    > Thanks anyway
    >
    > Steve

    Did you build your own kernel? If so, make sure that you when you call
    make-kpkg, you build a kernel_image and and also the kenrel_headers.

    If you have a Debian distributed kernel-image packages, make sure that
    you installed the idenitical kernel-headers package. It looks as though
    you may have a mismatch.

    Also, once the headers are installed, go into /usr/src and execute
    'ln -sf kernel-headers-<version> linux', so that the script is looking
    in the correct directory.

    -Roberto