Re: classic deficiancy in both windows and linux ?

From: Derrick 'dman' Hudson (
Date: 10/25/03

    Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 09:46:11 -0400
    To: Debian User List <>

    On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 10:18:48PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
    | On Fri, 2003-10-24 at 18:51, Paul Johnson wrote:
    | > On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 07:34:43PM -0400, Travis Crump wrote:
    | > > Not to mention the fact that I'd love to see a good definition of what
    | > > is 'normally' installed on a Linux machine.
    | >
    | > Ohh, ooh! I got it! The kernel. Everything after that comes
    | > seperately.
    | Well, hmmm, *normally*, initd, libc6, bash & perl are also installed.
    | Top, ps, tar, gzip, the contents of binutils & coreutils, heck,
    | *lots* of stuff are normally installed on every Linux system.
    | In fact, except on the smallest (i.e. floppy & embedded) systems,
    | are these utils ever *not* installed?

    Paul's point is that "linux" is just a kernel. *Debian GNU/Linux* is
    a combination of linux (a kernel) and all those apps and libraries you

    Your point, before that, still stands (as I mentioned in a different
    message): complaining against *linux* isn't helpful because that's
    not where the deficiency lies. Instead the deficiency lies in
    Nautilus or Konqueror (is GMC still alive?) and the issue should be
    taken up with those tools.

    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our
    sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
            I John 1:9

    To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to

    • Re: Can extra processing threads help in this case?
      ... along with two linux groups and one unix group. ... of reasoning known as fallacies. ... 450 MB of a 2 GB Linux system that reports that it is using ... My first reaction is "This is characteristic of the working set manager kicking in" In ...
    • Re: [SLE] Partition Magic vs. Linux partitioner
      ... drive is multiboot it only boots it is a LINUX system only ... and was created as a LINUX system. ... 2.the Windows partition is larger than about 8 GB (more ...
    • Re: ELF loading
      ... Is there anything like ActiveX on a Linux system, ... a data source and can convert from one data source to another transparently? ...
    • Re: How to cancel printing or to delete a print job that is stuck
      ... printer that is on the linux system? ... Jobs get a reference count associated with them from the spooler and the ...
    • Re: how to produce cross-platform exe file?
      ... In linux system, I can launch the app by this commmand: ... I can launch the app by this command: ... I want to make a exe file, so that by double clicking the exe file, ...