Re: classic deficiancy in both windows and linux ?

From: Derrick 'dman' Hudson (dman_at_dman13.dyndns.org)
Date: 10/25/03

    Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 09:46:11 -0400
    To: Debian User List <debian-user@lists.debian.org>

    On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 10:18:48PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
    | On Fri, 2003-10-24 at 18:51, Paul Johnson wrote:
    | > On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 07:34:43PM -0400, Travis Crump wrote:
    | > > Not to mention the fact that I'd love to see a good definition of what
    | > > is 'normally' installed on a Linux machine.
    | >
    | > Ohh, ooh! I got it! The kernel. Everything after that comes
    | > seperately.
    |
    | Well, hmmm, *normally*, initd, libc6, bash & perl are also installed.
    | Top, ps, tar, gzip, the contents of binutils & coreutils, heck,
    | *lots* of stuff are normally installed on every Linux system.
    |
    | In fact, except on the smallest (i.e. floppy & embedded) systems,
    | are these utils ever *not* installed?

    Paul's point is that "linux" is just a kernel. *Debian GNU/Linux* is
    a combination of linux (a kernel) and all those apps and libraries you
    listed.

    Your point, before that, still stands (as I mentioned in a different
    message): complaining against *linux* isn't helpful because that's
    not where the deficiency lies. Instead the deficiency lies in
    Nautilus or Konqueror (is GMC still alive?) and the issue should be
    taken up with those tools.

    -D

    --
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our
    sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

    http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/

    • Re: Can extra processing threads help in this case?
      ... along with two linux groups and one unix group. ... of reasoning known as fallacies. ... 450 MB of a 2 GB Linux system that reports that it is using ... My first reaction is "This is characteristic of the working set manager kicking in" In ...
      (microsoft.public.vc.mfc)
    • Re: [SLE] Partition Magic vs. Linux partitioner
      ... drive is multiboot it only boots it is a LINUX system only ... and was created as a LINUX system. ... 2.the Windows partition is larger than about 8 GB (more ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: ELF loading
      ... Is there anything like ActiveX on a Linux system, ... a data source and can convert from one data source to another transparently? ...
      (alt.lang.asm)
    • Re: How to cancel printing or to delete a print job that is stuck
      ... printer that is on the linux system? ... Jobs get a reference count associated with them from the spooler and the ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax)
    • Re: how to produce cross-platform exe file?
      ... In linux system, I can launch the app by this commmand: ... I can launch the app by this command: ... I want to make a exe file, so that by double clicking the exe file, ...
      (Debian-User)