Re: Experiment: Neophyte versus Windows XP & Debian Woody

From: Tom (tb.31123.nospam_at_comcast.net)
Date: 11/26/03

    Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 17:12:59 -0800
    To: Debian-User List <debian-user@lists.debian.org>

    On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 06:33:57PM -0500, Paul Morgan wrote:
    > In my experience, /opt and /usr/local have slightly different functions.
    > /opt would be used for vendor applications, etc., whereas /usr/local
    > would be used for locally built tools, etc.

    Adobe Acrobat and VMWare both install to /usr/local.
    Should they be in /opt or are there further considerations...

    What does /opt stand for? "Optional"? "Options?"

    What does /var stand for?

    • Re: Home server decision
      ... I've found VMware Player hosted under Windows satisfactory ... It's also available hosted under Linux, ... garish colours and not enough control over the install process. ...
      (comp.os.vms)
    • RE: [PHP] Xampp question, pretty much 0T
      ... I suggest you look into VMWare. ... versions (player, server, etc) if you don't want Workstation (which I ... [PHP] Xampp question, pretty much 0T ... recommended it to me when I asked for an easy install of AMP. ...
      (php.general)
    • Re: VmWare?
      ... software builds in a linux envronment on Mac Mini running leopard. ... I just crank up the VMware engine running linux and start ... You install it, create a virtual PC that has ... I have a linux box running Ubuntu and the choices Ive ...
      (comp.os.cpm)
    • Re: OSR5 on VMware Server Beta SCSI?
      ... pops up with the "Bad Magic Number" error when trying to load BTLDs at the ... to be unable to integrate the BTLD into the kernel during the install, ... floppy image with the exact same results, on 2 different physical VMware ...
      (comp.unix.sco.misc)
    • Linux compatibility VMWARE GSX 2.5
      ... Where would you like to install the VMware Management UI ... the VMware Management UI Web Server will not ...
      (freebsd-questions)