Re: Experiment: Neophyte versus Windows XP & Debian Woody

From: Erik Steffl (steffl_at_bigfoot.com)
Date: 11/26/03

    To: Debian-User List <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
    Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 22:29:27 -0800

    On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 17:12, Tom wrote:
    > On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 06:33:57PM -0500, Paul Morgan wrote:
    > > In my experience, /opt and /usr/local have slightly different functions.
    > > /opt would be used for vendor applications, etc., whereas /usr/local
    > > would be used for locally built tools, etc.
    >
    > Adobe Acrobat and VMWare both install to /usr/local.
    > Should they be in /opt or are there further considerations...
    >

    > What does /opt stand for? "Optional"? "Options?"

      according to fhs it's definitely /opt

    > What does /var stand for?

      I guess variable (fhs says: /var contains variable data files)

      see http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.2/

            erik

    • Re: J-Bots Plus 2004 Release for FrontPage
      ... Tom, ... First, I have to assume that Jim Chesire, a Microsoft employee, and yourself have conspired here to discredit. ... > When I started receiving those unsolicited j-bot emails, ... > unsubscribe, and the e-mail specifically says that I shouldn't reply to the ...
      (microsoft.public.frontpage.addins)
    • Re: J-Bots Plus 2004 Release for FrontPage
      ... Tom, ... First, I have to assume that Jim Chesire, a Microsoft employee, and yourself have conspired here to discredit. ... > When I started receiving those unsolicited j-bot emails, ... > unsubscribe, and the e-mail specifically says that I shouldn't reply to the ...
      (microsoft.public.frontpage.client)
    • Re: J-Bots Plus 2004 Release for FrontPage
      ... Tom, ... First, I have to assume that Jim Chesire, a Microsoft employee, and yourself have conspired here to discredit. ... > When I started receiving those unsolicited j-bot emails, ... > unsubscribe, and the e-mail specifically says that I shouldn't reply to the ...
    • Re: exim4 mainlog & msglog permissions?
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: Add XP Pro-only Features to XP Home
      ... of its patently absurd claims, however, I'd strongly suggest you ... unsubscribe from it and start listening to sources of information that ... "Tom" wrote in message ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)