Re: Buggy Kernel How-To?

From: Wolfgang Pfeiffer (roto_at_gmx.net)
Date: 12/09/03

    To: debian-user-list <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
    Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 13:52:51 +0100

    On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 17:28, David Z Maze wrote:
    > Wolfgang Pfeiffer <roto@gmx.net> writes:
    >
    > > So, in short, what I found by googling about for some time: The correct
    > > way seems to be to put the kernel-source in my (non-root) home
    > > directory, and then
    > > cd /usr/src/
    > > ln -s /home/<someuser>/kernel-sources linux
    > >
    > > and then, as non-root, compile the kernel in
    > > /usr/src/linux/
    > >
    > > (And then forget about some of the stuff I read in the Kernel-HowTo
    > > ?)
    >
    > I'd certainly believe that the Kernel-HOWTO isn't the best source of
    > information for compiling kernels on Debian. "Unpack, build, and
    > install everything as root" will *work* on every Linux out there, even
    > if it's unsafe.

    ... another reason why I came here: One of the first things, IIRC, I
    learned on Linux (on RedHat Linux then) was that the fact something
    *works* doesn't necessarily mean it's right ...

    > I'd look at the kernel-building documentation on
    > http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/ (specific to Debian).

    Thanks a lot: That seems to be exactly what I need currently ...
    As as we're already at it: Here's what I found on Kernel-Builds for
    2.6:

    1:
    The first document is on the very specifics of
    the new kernel, i.e. what's new in it, caveats etc..
    I found it on several URL's. The first one on
    codemonkey.org.uk
    doesn't work at the time of this writing, but I hope they're back soon:

    <http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/post-halloween-2.5.txt>
    <ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/davej/misc/post-halloween-2.5.txt>
    <http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/davej/misc/post-halloween-2.5.txt>
    <http://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/davej/misc/post-halloween-2.5.txt>
    <http://www.portalcon.com.br/kernel/post-halloween-2.5.txt>

    2:
    The following "article is targeted towards Linux users that are already
    comfortable with compiling their own 2.4 kernels" [ - excerpt] One
    could call it perhaps a "Kernel-2.6-HowTo"

    <http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/799>
    <http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/799/3666>

    I can't guarantee for the quality of the URL's I found ...
    But I hope it helps anyway.

    > None of my machines have a /usr/src/linux. I don't miss it. On my
    > laptop I build kernels in /home/dmaze/src/kernel/kernel-source-$KVERS;
    > my home desktop machine builds kernels for both itself and my firewall
    > machine in /usr/local/src. Real root privileges are only involved in
    > building the kernel when I install the kernel-image packages using
    > dpkg and the subsequent reboot. :-)
    >
    > > The background to all this is that I tried to get the kernel sources as
    > > non-root while being in /usr/src/<some.kernel.directory> with rsync:
    > > Which, IIRC, isn't possible. A non-root doesn't have the permission to
    > > download stuff to this dir, right?
    >
    > Add yourself to the 'src' group to get write access to /usr/src; the
    > 'staff' group for /usr/local/src.

    Thanks for the clarification.

    Best Regards,
    Wolfgang

    --
    Profile, Links:
    http://profiles.yahoo.com/wolfgangpfeiffer

    • Re: Free Linux Driver Development!
      ... Yes, that's right, the Linux kernel community is offering all companies ... free Linux driver development. ... potential gains from current toolchains and kernels, ... All we ask is that 1) SoC vendors authorize customers to do an NDA ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: Giving up on Linux...
      ... The 2.6.x kernels are ready prime-time. ... Where are the fixes for the latest hardware? ... >> I have real problems seeing how Linux is going to make it to the desktop ... broken software and an uncaring despot on the throan. ...
      (Fedora)
    • RE: Flaws in recent Linux kernels
      ... Flaws in recent Linux kernels ... I'm using a newly compiled kernel Linux 2.4.12-grsec-1.8.3. ... execve default user shell ...
      (Bugtraq)
    • Re: How long does Sun have to live? (OT RANT)
      ... The Linux kernel is GPLed; BSD ... The GPL encourages people to give changes back to ... >Linux to BSD kernels. ...
      (comp.unix.solaris)
    • Re: LSM conversion to static interface
      ... than that provided by their Linux distributor. ... nothing to say on "using vendor linux kernels". ... this change forces users who want to use a different LSM than ...
      (Linux-Kernel)