Re: Message to Computer Vendors

From: David Baron (d_baron_at_012.net.il)
Date: 12/17/03

    To: <debian-user-digest@lists.debian.org>
    Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 09:10:31 +0200

    The folks at "Lindows" are doing just that.
    ... and both Knoppix and Lindows are Debian based.

    <<<<<<<<
    how much would it cost to drop a Knoppix disk in, make sure it
    boots, check that the network is accessible and sound comes out of the
    speakers, and then stick a "Linux-compatible" sticker on the machine?

    You could certainly still say that you don't provide drivers or support,
    and you could make sure the fine print says "tested with Knoppix version
    x.x: we offer no guarantee it'll work with other distros.")

    Most people who are looking for Linux compatibility will be satisfied
    with that: if it works under knoppix, then you know that there _are_
    drivers for the hardware, even if you may have to do a bit of work to
    get 'em going under, say, Debian.
    <<<<<<<<<<<

    • sound driver
      ... I can't play ogg files on my Debian Sarge machine, ... i.e. the drivers I have installed on my Debian Sarge machine aren't ... Knoppix uses, ... via82cxxx_audio differs and Knoppix doesn't use via82cxxx. ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: Debian Desktop for a Joe Average
      ... you should try Knoppix. ... get the drivers from the nvidia page. ... The nvidia script makes all the ... NTV '94 RedSue 24-42Mm running on fuel, everything else runs Debian ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: knoppix HD-install problem
      ... > 1) people try knoppix live cd ... > debian and so they want to shift to debian. ... But debian is not very tolerant ... So why couldnīt we take knoppix related questions in our FAQs? ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: basic newbie help
      ... I noticed that there is extensive documentation ... Starting off by installing a HDD installation of Knoppix ... Knoppix is based on Debian, but Knoppix ... is a very useful resource, but it should never be your only resource. ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: knoppix HD-install problem
      ... knoppix has the better hardware recognition. ... knoppix has just many more packages installed than debian ... get impressed by it and install it on the hard drive ... change the FAQ. ...
      (Debian-User)