Re: kill mozilla after idle time

From: Joseph A. Nagy (pagan_prince_at_bigfire-hsv.org)
Date: 12/19/03

    To: "Daniel Gall" <gall@epost.de>, <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
    Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 13:18:29 -0600

    On Friday 19 December 2003 11:38 am, Daniel Gall wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > im not (yet) too familiar with linux but would like to exchange the
    > os of several computers in our school from windows xp to linux
    > (knoppix hd-install).
    >
    > Beforehand i want to make sure if (and how) i can accomplish that a
    > program (i.e. Mozilla) will be killed after a certain idle time (no
    > user activity) and will restart right after.
    >
    > Background: A pre-defined e-learning info-website should be seen by
    > default when students start using the computer. Since i am aware that
    > not all students will remain on that site i want to make sure that
    > this page is reloaded automatically after, say , 5 minutes of no user
    > activity.
    >
    > Thanks a lot for any help,
    > Daniel

    You could probably write a script that botted Moz back to the page if
    there was no detected mouse activity, but that could be troublesome if
    the person is writing a report and is using a website for a reference
    (no mouse or browser activity, but the page is being used).

    I'd say the best option is to set the homepage to the pre-defined site
    and have the students close the browser when they are done and just
    have the teacher go around in between classes (or a librarian if in the
    library/comp lab) and close all the browser windows that are still open
    (or hit the home button to return to the pre-defined site).

    • Re: kill mozilla after idle time
      ... Daniel Gall wrote: ... > several computers in our school from windows xp to linux (knoppix ... > when students start using the computer. ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: Several questions about the LG Voyager
      ... thing has got iPhone-style WebTV browser device written all over it. ... attaches to without a sellphone company interference. ... file off the main computer on the tablet far away, ... N800 or N810 Linux internet tablet the sellphone company DOESN'T get to ...
      (alt.cellular.verizon)
    • Re: Reporting tools
      ... I always find it a little suspect when people mention "linux" in context ... It's not that simple because .NET is a local Windows service and client ... a browser connects to the server and identifies the ... Of course you can do this in any language: ...
      (comp.databases.pick)
    • Re: Linux still surfs slower than Windows
      ... That wouldn't explain why the Linux browser chokes on any given ... >>up with the same DNS configurations. ... > although it seems they do work properly with MS requests. ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)
    • Re: Request for Input on Creating Linux Courses...
      ... The Ideal is to over a beginning Linux course, and an second level course as ... I have one 4 hour section where the students ... go thru the installation of various Linux OS's, and they can use the Fedora, ... Associating x86 platforms with computing is like associating a browser with the InterNet. ...
      (Fedora)