Re: kill mozilla after idle time

From: Joseph A. Nagy (pagan_prince_at_bigfire-hsv.org)
Date: 12/19/03

    To: "Daniel Gall" <gall@epost.de>, <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
    Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 13:18:29 -0600

    On Friday 19 December 2003 11:38 am, Daniel Gall wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > im not (yet) too familiar with linux but would like to exchange the
    > os of several computers in our school from windows xp to linux
    > (knoppix hd-install).
    >
    > Beforehand i want to make sure if (and how) i can accomplish that a
    > program (i.e. Mozilla) will be killed after a certain idle time (no
    > user activity) and will restart right after.
    >
    > Background: A pre-defined e-learning info-website should be seen by
    > default when students start using the computer. Since i am aware that
    > not all students will remain on that site i want to make sure that
    > this page is reloaded automatically after, say , 5 minutes of no user
    > activity.
    >
    > Thanks a lot for any help,
    > Daniel

    You could probably write a script that botted Moz back to the page if
    there was no detected mouse activity, but that could be troublesome if
    the person is writing a report and is using a website for a reference
    (no mouse or browser activity, but the page is being used).

    I'd say the best option is to set the homepage to the pre-defined site
    and have the students close the browser when they are done and just
    have the teacher go around in between classes (or a librarian if in the
    library/comp lab) and close all the browser windows that are still open
    (or hit the home button to return to the pre-defined site).