RE: Web server with PHP setup & mod-ssl

From: Rosenstrauch, David (david.rosenstrauch_at_csfb.com)
Date: 01/29/04

    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
    Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 18:07:19 -0000

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Danny O'Brien [mailto:dannyo@steinrogan.com]
    Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2004 12:19 PM
    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
    Subject: Web server with PHP setup & mod-ssl

     - does "apt-get upgrade" always provide the most secure versions? The reason
    I ask is:
    [Rosenstrauch, David]
    Debian stable is considered the most secure. A distro isn't promoted from
    testing to stable until it's been thoroughly tested. (See
    http://www.debian.org/releases/ <http://www.debian.org/releases/> )

    - Apache 1.3.26 seems ancient -- is this an OK version to run? I have executed
    apt-get upgrade, and apt.conf is set for "stable."
    [Rosenstrauch, David]

    That said, the flip side of that is that there can be a *long* time between
    releases in stable. The last major release of stable was on 19th of July,
    2002.

    So, yes, the version of Apache in stable is 1.3.26, which is older. But, as
    the stable distro is considered the most stable, that's the one you should run
    if you're most concerned about security. Although you certainly could upgrade
    to the version from testing (1.3.29) if you'd like, you should be aware that
    testing does not receive security updates in nearly as timely a fashion as
    stable. (See http://www.debian.org/security/faq#testing
    <http://www.debian.org/security/faq#testing> ) So that might be a bit on the
    risky side for you, depending on how secure and mission-critical you need this
    web server to be

    - also, openssl is up to 0.9.6 "l" -- 0.9.6 "c" also seems ancient.

    [Rosenstrauch, David]
    Same answer as Apache.

    - My previous build ran mod-ssl. However, there is no mod-ssl package in
    Debian. Has anyone installed mod-ssl under Debian, or is there a better
    program for this function?

    TIA

    - Danny O'Brien
    [Rosenstrauch, David]

    There's an apache-ssl package under Debian. Try "apt-get remove apache"
    followed by "apt-get install apache-ssl".

    HTH,

    DR

    • Re: download question
      ... > David wrote: ... >>I would say i686 since I don't know which distro or what all the ... > Sounds like Debian to me, and Debian does not offer official i586 or ... mentioned along with not mentioning what any of the options were. ...
      (comp.os.linux.setup)
    • Re: pros/cons of installing from source
      ... > specifies (not just the application developer), ... > strictly required by a binary distro are really not. ... > distros one has 2 levels of non optional dependencies I believe, ... for Debian pulls in some xlibs on even cursor based systems. ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: pros/cons of installing from source
      ... aptitude offers you the dependencies the distro developer ... by policy are the ones set by the original package developer. ... There is the Debian Developers Guide and the Debian Free software Guide. ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: why debian - longer
      ... Debian provides a stable target that will not change; ... depend on "httpd" which is provided by some dozen packages. ... other distro; ... You are confusing home user targeted distro with admin targeted distro - two ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: Choosing a distribution (was: Just a simple query)
      ... Living with a distro is often far different than a fresh install. ... finally reach Debian but it is not: openSUSE is powerful enough to fit ... can be used as a start point to get the user introduced into the Linux ...
      (Debian-User)