Re: Debain on the rise ! - However ....

From: Jeff Green (jeff_at_cricinfo.com)
Date: 02/02/04

    Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 19:11:46 +0000
    To: "W. B. Maguire II" <Maguire@AnalyticInvestments.com>

    I didn't see your original mail, as although I subscribe to the list I don't
    often get the time to read it all, I will however go back and find it now. I do
    have a kernel (2.4.18 I'm afraid) wit rocket raid module. Which I would be happy
    to send you to try if you wish. I'll read your mail and check it has all else
    you need, and see if I can see the best way for you to apply it.
    Jeff

    --
    Jeff Green
    Systems Manager, Wisden CricInfo Limited
    W. B. Maguire II wrote:
    > At 10:03 AM 2/2/04 -0700, you wrote:
    >
    >> On 2004-02-02, Uwe Dippel penned:
    >> > This was on Slashdot and this is what I see around me.  Very good,
    >> > applause !
    >> >
    >> > ... However, this list gets out of hands. With a few hundered posts
    >> > per day; it's almost impossible to follow.
    >

    > Wow...  I was *just* considering whether I should take the time to post
    > a message before un-subscribing to the list.  Since someone *else*
    > brought-up the subject, I hope that my one, small opinion will be of help.
    >

    >> > How about creating sub-topics ? Newbies, X, Kernel (2.6),
    >> > Applications, Advocating, General Discussion, Printing, you-name-it.
    >> > I'd like to learn, share and give, but currently about 80-90 % of what
    >> > I see is repetition, noise, shallow. Even clicking through
    >> > (downloading) takes simply too much time.
    >

    > Yes!  More discretization is definitely needed!
    >

    >> I think that genuine newbies who don't know how to find information in
    >> the first place, and may not know which domain applies to their
    >> particular problems, anyway, will end up posting to the "wrong" list
    >> anyway, and getting flamed for it ... causing more noise ...
    >

    > Wrong, IMO!  I think it is quite arrogant to dismiss a "newbie" list
    > because of an attitude that "newbies would be too dumb to find it!"
    > *I'm* a Debian newbie, and *I* spent the time to find-out which list I
    > should use for help on installing the distro!  Just because I'm a
    > *Debian* newbie doesn't mean that I'm a complete idiot, and that there's
    > no use trying to split-off a list for new users like me!  Sheesh!
    >
    > And what about discretization in other areas?  I asked a question about
    > the Debian install (3.0 r1) not recognizing my HDDs connected to a
    > Rocket-133 PCI-IDE card (a few days ago---titled "New Debian install +
    > Rocket133 = no HDDs!  (Please help...").  I followed-up my first post
    > with some details I forgot (like the version of Debian and the fact that
    > I tried *all* the installs, starting with the 2.4 kernel).  I included
    > *lots* of detail---as much as I reasonably could.  Please look!  I spent
    > a *long* time composing the e-mail, so that I could provide a
    > reasonably-well-formed question.  The result?  I got *one* reply (thank
    > you!), but it suggested: (1) use the "bf24" install---which I was
    > already doing, and (2) build a new kernel for the install---an issue
    > which I had addressed in my follow-up post (basically saying that I'd
    > never compiled a kernel before, and even if I *did* compile a new
    > kernel, I didn't know how to use *that* kernel for a Debian installation).
    >
    > The end result?  The end result is unfortunate for Debian.  I really
    > *did* want to try Debian, but with the only response I got to my
    > hour-long-researching-post being "compile your own kernel", that pretty
    > much shut this new-comer down!  So, I'm probably going to be using
    > Gentoo instead.  I don't know yet whether I can get the Gentoo install
    > to work with my Rocket-133 raid disks (created with a Red Hat 9
> [...]

    • Debian vs. Gentoo
      ... Debian Woody ... As for package management, I'm not sure why this was confusing although I ... in Gentoo Linux, which I'll get to in a minute. ... Once you find the name of the package, the easiest way to install it is: ...
      (alt.linux)
    • unsubscribe
      ... > Subject: debian newbie... ... If I need to recompile the kernel, ... Also, what other additional packages, ... >> The package you're trying to install presumably ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: Whats the easiest and/or simplest part of Linux Kernel?
      ... I think the kernel is the LAST place you want to go, ... Most applications are not developed by Debian developers; rather other groups develop and make the packages available; the Debian developers may make some minor modifications then package them for Debian, ensuring the proper prerequisites are defined, etc. ... And if you try to install the PHP-Apache module, it knows you need Apache installed. ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: Debian Wheezy freezing
      ... I installed Debian Wheezy and the system freezes randomly. ... I never compiled a kernel before, so I am afraid of the problems it ... try to compile and install newer linux kernel yourself. ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: kernel 2.4 -> 2.6 upgrading procedure
      ... > Debian a couple days ago using a DVD from the magazine Linux Format. ... In the future when you install Debian it is highly recommended to ... install using the linux 2.6 kernel instead of the 2.4 kernel. ...
      (Debian-User)