Re: Alternative to VMware?

From: Joel Konkle-Parker (jjk3_at_msstate.edu)
Date: 02/03/04

    Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 15:24:14 -0600
    To: Massimiliano <ml@sinkronet.com>

    Massimiliano wrote:
    > Joel Konkle-Parker wrote:
    >
    >> I really want to get a copy of VMware, but I don't have $140 for the
    >> student version. So I'm looking for alternatives. I just want some
    >> kind of sandbox where I can test out new software, distros, etc,
    >> without rebooting into a seperate partition.
    >

    > To try some distros you can use user-mode-linux

    Doesn't the guest OS's kernel need to be modified to work with uml?
    Also, you can't test livecds and installation routines and such with
    uml, can you?

    --
    Joel Konkle-Parker
    Webmaster  [Ballsome.com]

    • Re: How secure would chrooted ssh be?
      ... Thanks for these pointers. ... > VMware, UML and Xeno for a variety of tasks (standard machine performance ... I was quite shocked to see the relative standing of UML, ...
      (comp.os.linux.security)
    • Re: testing a kernel without reboot
      ... >> first thought for me is also UML, with VMWare as a close second. ... >> is not GPLed or anyhting, but for checking on the boot process of a ... I heard that the kernel has to be ...
      (Debian-User)