Re: nyt article: computer litteracy

From: Kent West (westk_at_acu.edu)
Date: 02/05/04

    Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 10:03:51 -0600
    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

    Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

    > Hi world!
    >
    > Interesting article on growing distance between the computer-savvy and
    > the illiterates with fancy systems:
    >
    > http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/05/technology/05VIRU.html

    register:register

    Whereas there's some truth in the issue of illiterates running computers
    ("my cupholder broke!"), the article doesn't even mention that the vast
    majority of modern support issues are not user-related so much as faulty
    technology on the majority of computers in use.

    If you have a red button on the wall that says "Don't Touch - Bad Things
    Will Happen", the button is going to get touched by every third Joe that
    comes along. That's human nature. That's MS-Windows with its virus-prone
    architecture.

    If you have a red button on the wall that says "Don't Touch - Bad Things
    Will Happen", and then have a locked case over the button that can only
    be opened by "authorized" personnel, you're going to have much fewer
    people touching the button, and those that do are likely to know what
    they're doing. This is Mac OS/X and Unix and Linux (and perhaps other
    OSes) (assuming the OSes are decently configured).

    I don't blame my clients/customers/users nearly so much for the support
    load as I blame the pointy-haired bosses that insist on putting Windows
    on the desktops even though his support staff is saying it's time for a
    paradigm shift, nor nearly as much as I blame Microsoft for their design
    decisions (and "aggressive marketing" *cough*) that has gotten us where
    we are today.

    Yes, some blame on illiterate users; much more blame on faulty technology.

    --
    Kent

    • Re: Cairngorm fatalities
      ... Blame the computer, or rather its programming, it has the whip hand. ... I agree that computers are able to ammas vast amounts of information gathered by weather ships, balloos and other sources but that information is only accurate as a record. ... Whatever model is applied to "predict" the future few hours can be rubbished by a quirk of nature outside the model parameters ...
      (uk.rec.walking)
    • A bad workman......
      ... computers may have contributed to the current banking ... I blame computers for this crisis ... written by a British investment analyst ...
      (uk.philosophy.humanism)
    • Re: Yet another OS
      ... some GUI system detects monitor specifications? ... There is only so much time that I devote to computers. ... I blame the education system. ... everyday lives, but we can't hope to become experts in all of them. ...
      (alt.os.linux)
    • Re: Is Whidbey the beginning of the end for the developer ?
      ... career because the new computers could program themselves. ... solutions bring development tools to the masses which is good and bad. ... critical customer or company private information. ... Not any more that we can blame the inventor of the chainsaw or socket ...
      (microsoft.public.dotnet.csharp.general)