Re: exim HELO=fully qualified host name?

From: David Clymer (david_at_zettazebra.com)
Date: 02/06/04

    To: Debian-User <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
    Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 17:31:21 -0500

    On Fri, 2004-02-06 at 14:32, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
    > On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 01:26:10PM -0500, David Clymer wrote:
    > | On Fri, 2004-02-06 at 12:11, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
    > | > On 2004-02-06, David Clymer penned:

    > | > I believe that exim will, by default, report the first entry in your
    > | > /etc/hosts file. So if you have
    > | >
    > | > 155.22.33.44 booger yoda www.sticky.net
    > | >
    > | > I believe exim will report the machine as booger.
    > | >
    > | > Just move the FQDN into the first slot and you should be fine.
    > | >
    > | > My understanding is that exim's primary_hostname setting is considered a
    > | > kludge and that it's "better" to use the above method.
    >
    > Basically correct.
    >
    > | I learn something new every day, it seems. I suppose I should modify my
    > | own server, if thats the case. Could you expound apon the "kludge-ness"
    > | of primary_hostname?
    >
    > primary_hostname only affects exim. Nothing else on your system will
    > know about that setting, in exim's config file. By default exim uses
    > the gethostbyaddr() system call to ask the system what the host name
    > is. glibc uses the hosts file, if an appropriate entry is available
    > and the nssswitch.conf file tells it to look there, to determine what
    > the machine's full name is.
    >
    > You can test the system's idea of your host name either by running the
    > 'hostname' command or using this snippet of python code :
    > python -c "import socket; print socket.gethostbyaddr(socket.gethostname())[0]"
    >
    > In short, it is best to have the system correctly know what its name
    > is than to explicitly tell exim what it is.

    I just assumed that the /etc/hosts file was, for the most part, obviated
    by DNS, and now only really good for making aliases for the localhost
    (since one can't generally resolve the loopback address via DNS). I
    suppose its less expensive than a DNS query, but specifying a hostname
    in /etc/hosts seems to differ in kludgyness from primary_hostname by
    degree rather than method.

    for instance, when communicating with a remote host, it would seem to me
    that the logical hostname to supply (as a self reference) would be a
    hostname which is resolvable via DNS rather than an /etc/hosts alias
    which is inaccessable to the remote host and can contain (and rightly
    so) a hostname resolving to 127.0.0.1.

    am I way off base in thinking this?

    -davidc

    • Re: General DNS config questions
      ... 0-9 and - are allowed as characters in DNS... ... host name that GoDaddy didn't like. ... No, no - you're right, it should be a hostname. ... Better to be safe. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)
    • Re: hostnames and interfaces
      ... > interface) and routers (multiple interfaces) can one define multiple ... > host names and IP addresses (strickly speaking that is what dns etc sees?) ... this can be a problem with a multi-homed host: ... Any machine will have a hostname -- that is the name which gets ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: can access IPs but not by hostname
      ... I know you said nslookup shows DNS is fine but, can you you ping a host name ... Using any browser by hostname fails with server can't be found. ...
    • Re: Another Mx Problem
      ... An MX record should be a host name, ... record for that hostname, so they are basically correct. ... and we stopped receiving external email. ...
      (microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000)
    • Re: hosts seems to not be used by the resolver
      ... Then look at tools like SSH that do reverse DNS lookups ... to verify that the host claiming to be "sshclient.whatever.com" and which is ... hostname so you can tell where someone was connecting from. ...
      (comp.os.linux.setup)