Re: question regarding installation 2.4 kernel

From: Oliver Fuchs (oliverfuchs_at_onlinehome.de)
Date: 02/06/04

    Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 23:35:53 +0100
    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

    On Fri, 06 Feb 2004, Alex HaLdey wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > I am trying to install a Debian Woody 2.4 kernel.
    >
    > In the middle of the installation, after it installs the base system and
    > restarts, I get the following error.
    >
    > "kernel panic: no init found. Try passing init = option to kernel"

    Looks like you are building a kernel with initrd option. Then from
    /usr/share/doc/kernel-source-2.4/debian.README.gz:

     NOTE about using initial ram disk images (initrd). Recent official
     kitchen sink kernel image packages tend to use this, in order to
     accomodate as wide a vareity of root file system types as humanly
     possible without building them all into the kernel. In order to use
     these images, you need to instruct you boot loader that this is a
     kernel image using intrd, and tell the boot loader where to find the
     initrd image. Unfortunately, you can't just substitute a non initrd
     image afterwards without changing the boot loader instructions. So,
     if your boot loader configuration expects to see an initrd image, add
     --initrd to the above invocation, like so:
       make-kpkg clean
       $Get_Root make-kpkg --initrd --revision=3:custom.2.0 kernel_image

    Do not forget to add a initrd-entry to your lilo.conf

    Oliver

    --
    ... don't touch the bang bang fruit