Re: question regarding installation 2.4 kernel

From: Oliver Fuchs (oliverfuchs_at_onlinehome.de)
Date: 02/06/04

    Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 23:35:53 +0100
    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

    On Fri, 06 Feb 2004, Alex HaLdey wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > I am trying to install a Debian Woody 2.4 kernel.
    >
    > In the middle of the installation, after it installs the base system and
    > restarts, I get the following error.
    >
    > "kernel panic: no init found. Try passing init = option to kernel"

    Looks like you are building a kernel with initrd option. Then from
    /usr/share/doc/kernel-source-2.4/debian.README.gz:

     NOTE about using initial ram disk images (initrd). Recent official
     kitchen sink kernel image packages tend to use this, in order to
     accomodate as wide a vareity of root file system types as humanly
     possible without building them all into the kernel. In order to use
     these images, you need to instruct you boot loader that this is a
     kernel image using intrd, and tell the boot loader where to find the
     initrd image. Unfortunately, you can't just substitute a non initrd
     image afterwards without changing the boot loader instructions. So,
     if your boot loader configuration expects to see an initrd image, add
     --initrd to the above invocation, like so:
       make-kpkg clean
       $Get_Root make-kpkg --initrd --revision=3:custom.2.0 kernel_image

    Do not forget to add a initrd-entry to your lilo.conf

    Oliver

    --
    ... don't touch the bang bang fruit

    • Re: linux-image-2.6-486 vs. linux-image -2.6-
      ... Is there a place where the difference between these latest kernel binary images is documented, other than looking thru the config files or the descriptions of the packages. ... But when I install linux-image-2.6-k7 the boot will fail, because he cannot find the root device, meaning the initrd failed somehow. ... Linux-image-4-486 has no problems when used on a USB disk partition on which Etch is installed with the daily-built d-i. ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: Hard drive install (upgrade) from USB drive?
      ... do so and pick the menu item called "Fedora Core 7 ... the pick the USB drive (on every install I have done, ... I compared the MD5 sums of the kernel and initrd from both isolinux/ on the ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Error 15 when online upgrade from FC 10 to 12
      ... I noticed that the kernel number refered to those 2 or 3 I've deleted. ... # all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, ... Is there a way to recover everything before I accept stable install? ... have to, at the grub screen immediately after 'post', hit the 'e' key, select ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Moving Fedora 9 Hard Disk To Another System
      ... When the kernel is updated, the Fedora 9 framework will rebuild a new ... initrd and it will NOT have the special modules in it. ... I make a small custom install on the machine in question. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: [DSA-403-1] Kernel update?
      ... > I'm trying to take this route of compiling the vanilla kernel myself. ... > 1) Where is this cramfs initrd patch available for download? ... and tell the boot loader where to find the ... > and you need an additional cramfs initrd patch in the kernel to be ...
      (Debian-User)