Re: Phone dialer for Linux

From: David P James (dpjames_at_rogers.com)
Date: 02/07/04

    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
    Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 00:22:08 -0500

    On February 06, 2004 18:12, Darik Horn wrote:
    > > I'm looking for something that can be used in a way sort of like
    > > the following:
    > >
    > > ~$ somedialer -P{ulse} -D /dev/ttys0 -N <1 234 567 8910>
    >
    > Try minicom, tip, and cu. Use whatever best fits your taste.

    tip doesn't even exist in the repository (at least not by that name) and
    minicom seems too much for what I want. So I tried cu:

    ~$ cu -c 5551234
    cu: must specify system, line, port or speed
    Usage: cu [options] [system or phone-number]
    Use cu --help for help

    ok... so let's try:

    ~$ cu -l /dev/ttyS0 -c 5551234
    cu: No matching ports

    I don't know what it is about modem-related programs and their manpages,
    but they are among the most confusing manpages in existence. I swear
    someone invented ethernet one day out of frustration of trying to get
    an understanding of dialing out on a modem. Am I supposed to have a
    config file? Where should it be? The man page and --help output make
    mention of a "named port". This sounds like a funny concept to me, but
    it does suggest a config file is necessary. Unfortunately the man page
    makes no mention of where that config file should be or more
    importantly how it should be structured.

    --
    David P James
    Ottawa, Ontario

    • Re: Phone dialer for Linux
      ... >and minicom seems too much for what I want. ... >but it does suggest a config file is necessary. ... serial port I plan to do this as well (this has been my plan for about ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: [SLE] Connecting a terminal program to an external rs323 port
      ... do I connect the terminal program to the physical port? ... headless machine by running a temp null modem cable to it and accessing it ... From the Linux box minicom is the terminal emulator of choice... ... still find commercial null modem cables at places like BestBuy with the ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: [SLE] Connecting a tremial program to an external rs323 port
      ... do I connect the terminal program to the physical port? ... by running a temp null modem cable to it and accessing it via the agetty... ... From the Linux box minicom is the terminal emulator of choice... ... still find commercial null modem cables at places like BestBuy with the ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: GNAT.Serial_Communications
      ... The minicom values along the bottom are ... software flow control. ... Minicom reconfigures the port while it's running to also ignore the ... waiting for the CTS line to be asserted by your remote device (which will ...
      (comp.lang.ada)
    • Re: Upgrading to 7.0 - stupid requirements
      ... upgrading config files, with as much as possible managed via the ports ... and that compares the config file from the port against the ... making ports adhere to a much stricter configuration regime would make the uptake of new ports slow down considerably. ...
      (freebsd-stable)