Re: Phone dialer for Linux

From: David P James (dpjames_at_rogers.com)
Date: 02/07/04

    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
    Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 00:22:08 -0500

    On February 06, 2004 18:12, Darik Horn wrote:
    > > I'm looking for something that can be used in a way sort of like
    > > the following:
    > >
    > > ~$ somedialer -P{ulse} -D /dev/ttys0 -N <1 234 567 8910>
    >
    > Try minicom, tip, and cu. Use whatever best fits your taste.

    tip doesn't even exist in the repository (at least not by that name) and
    minicom seems too much for what I want. So I tried cu:

    ~$ cu -c 5551234
    cu: must specify system, line, port or speed
    Usage: cu [options] [system or phone-number]
    Use cu --help for help

    ok... so let's try:

    ~$ cu -l /dev/ttyS0 -c 5551234
    cu: No matching ports

    I don't know what it is about modem-related programs and their manpages,
    but they are among the most confusing manpages in existence. I swear
    someone invented ethernet one day out of frustration of trying to get
    an understanding of dialing out on a modem. Am I supposed to have a
    config file? Where should it be? The man page and --help output make
    mention of a "named port". This sounds like a funny concept to me, but
    it does suggest a config file is necessary. Unfortunately the man page
    makes no mention of where that config file should be or more
    importantly how it should be structured.

    --
    David P James
    Ottawa, Ontario