dual boot debian & Windoze, need advice

From: Paul E Condon (pecondon_at_peakpeak.com)
Date: 02/09/04

    Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 13:06:38 -0700
    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

    I want to dual boot an i686 machine with Debian Sarge and Windoze. My
    situation is somewhat special, so the directions that I find when I
    google the topic do not really apply IMHO.

    The i686 computer already has Sarge installed on a 60G HD, and Windoze
    XP installed on a 30G HD that is sitting inside the case. But the
    Windoze HD is currently disconnected from both the ribbon cable and
    the power cable.

    I want to add an appropriate stanza to lilo.conf and connect cables to
    get dual boot with a minimum of reinstalling. I would like to have the
    60G HD be hda under Linux, and the 30G HD be C: under Windoze. I would
    like to use lilo.

    My understanding is that bios boot code on an i686 looks at the MBR of
    the master drive on the first IDE channel to find the 2nd stage boot
    program, and that lilo overwrites this record.

    If I do the cabling so that Windoze HD is the slave drive, lilo should
    not touch the MBR of the Windoze HD. Correct?

    So what do I put in the Windoze stanza of lilo.conf to make boot program
    load Windoze? And is there a reasonable hope that Windoze can be made to
    think that the slave drive is C:? Or will it do this automatically?

    Or, am I crazy to be contemplating this?

    TIA

    --
    Paul E Condon
    pecondon@peakpeak.com

    • Re: Linux install/boot problems...
      ... I have three PATA drives and one SATA drive. ... machine always boots from the SATA disk, and hence to windoze. ... PATA over SATA - the only boot option is 'hard disk'. ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • Re: Problem with Dual Boot Win98 and Linux 6.x
      ... What is Linux 6.? ... is only Windoze' name for the Windoze partition on the second hard ... IME the Windoze 98 CDs are not bootable - you need a boot floppy ... both hard drives. ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • Re: dual boot debian & Windoze, need advice
      ... > get dual boot with a minimum of reinstalling. ... and that lilo overwrites this record. ... > If I do the cabling so that Windoze HD is the slave drive, ... Windows drive was the primary drive when Windows was installed. ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: Retaining windoze when replacing 9.0 with 9.1?
      ... > windoze, although she hasn't used the accursed thing in months. ... > currently have SuSE Linux Professional 9.0 installed, and can boot ... There should be no problem with what you want to do, Suse should just ... resizing an ntfs partition using the tools in 9.1 which has a "feature" ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • Re: Linux install/boot problems...
      ... machine always boots from the SATA disk, and hence to windoze. ... PATA over SATA - the only boot option is 'hard disk'. ... also give you the choice to boot from the raid. ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)