phpbb2 woes

From: Steve Lamb (grey_at_dmiyu.org)
Date: 02/13/04

    Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 07:06:22 -0800
    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

         Hokay, this is frustrating. I've gotten phpbb2 to work before but for
    some reason I can't this time. Here's the setup.

    ii php4 4.3.3-2 A server-side, HTML-embedded
    ii apache 1.3.29.0.1-5 Versatile, high-performance HTTP
    ii php4-mysql 4.3.3-5 MySQL module for php4
    ii mysql-server 4.0.17-2 mysql database server binaries

         I've given the forums I want to install its own user with all permissions
    set. I've tried creating the database for the install script as well as doing
    it without the DB made. Files are chowned correctly. Telling the install
    script the proper database type. The end result is that I keep getting "The
    PHP configuration on your server doesn't support the database type that you
    chose". Which is BS since I have MySQL4 installed, told it to use MySQL4,
    phpmyadmin can get to the DBs and I can telnet to the DB from localhost to the
    correct port (turned on net just in case). I've even gone so far as to
    downgrade to MySQL3 since that is what I got phpbb2 to work on last time. No
    dice.

         Anyone have any ideas what I might be missing?