something weird happened to my cd-rw

From: xucaen (xucaen_at_access-4-free.com)
Date: 02/19/04

    Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 17:05:14 -0500
    To: Debian User <debian-user@lists.debian.org>

    Hi all, something weird happened to my cd-rw after upgrade.
    I upgraded to testing and installed the kernel-image-2.3.24-1-k6.
    I logged on, ran startx and then ran xcdroast. Everything seemed to be working.
    I put in a 650MB cd-r disk into my cd-rw drive and began to make a backup of some files.
    at about 98% I got a write error. hmm.. that seemed strange. I mounted the cd-r in my cd-rom drive
    but got an error saying no compatible filesystem. So, I popped the cd-r into my Windows PC and
    the disk seems fine. all of my files are there. So back over to debian I popped in another cd-r disk
    and... xcdroast says I have no cd-rw drive. It also can not detect my cd-rom drive. I did not reboot
    or anything before popping in the second cd-r disk. very strange. So I ran modconf thinking that
    the ide-scsi driver wasn't loaded anymore. The ide-scsi module was in fact loaded sSo I removed it
    and added it back. Then I added an append statement to my lilo.conf

    here is the image entry in my lilo.conf:

    default=Linux

    image=/vmlinuz
        label=Linux
        read-only
        initrd=/initrd.img
        append="hdc=scsi hdd=scsi"
    # restricted
    # alias=1

    I looked in /etc/modules.conf and there is no entry for ide-scsi.

    With the system the way it is right now I am able to mount both the cd-rom and the cd-rw from
    /dev/scd0 and /dev/scd1 respectively but I can not get xcdroast to detect the drives.

    cdrecord -scanbus gives me the following information:

    #begin cdrecord -scanbus
    Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a25 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg Schilling
    NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an inofficial (modified) release of cdrecord
          and thus may have bugs that are not present in the original version.
          Please send bug reports and support requests to <cdrtools@packages.debian.org>.
          The original author should not be bothered with problems of this version.

    Linux sg driver version: 3.1.25
    Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
    scsibus0:
    cdrecord.mmap: Warning: controller returns wrong size for CD capabilities page.
            0,0,0 0) 'CD-ROM ' 'Drive/F5D ' '2.42' Removable CD-ROM
            0,1,0 1) 'LG ' 'CD-RW CED-8080B ' '1.09' Removable CD-ROM
            0,2,0 2) *
            0,3,0 3) *
            0,4,0 4) *
            0,5,0 5) *
            0,6,0 6) *
            0,7,0 7) *
    #end cdrecord -scanbus

    I also tried addiing this line to modules.conf but it seemed to have had no affect at all:

    options ide-cd ignore='hdc hdd'

    I even tried starting xcdroast with the -a option and also the -f option.

    I'm not sure what else to try. Strange that burning a cd worked that very first time.
    Does anyone have any ideas of what I should try next?

    thanks!!

    Jim

    • Re: Careful Dave: Re: cdrecord error
      ... If no speed value could be found, cdrecord uses a drive spe- ... drives is to use the maximum supported by the drive. ... it might not work if you don't have a MMC compliant cd writer. ... Would be interesting to see if it holds true for CD-RW... ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: Cannot make bootable CD-RW disk
      ... Any smart options to cdrecord I ... The CD-RW is readable on the CD-RW drive, but not on a standard CD-ROM as ... the surface of a CD-RW disk isn't as reflective as a DC-R disk. ... and this is true for most drives. ...
      (comp.unix.solaris)
    • xcdroast: Problem writing re-writable discs
      ... I'm using xcdroast with Mandrake Linux 9.1 ... Linux sg driver version: 3.1.24 ... Here is a xcdroast log file from failed attempt to record CD-RW ... cdrecord: Drive needs to reload the media to return to proper status. ...
      (comp.os.linux.hardware)
    • FC2 - CD Drive installation or Cdrecord setup Problem
      ... CDrom and CD-RW drives read just fine. ... cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial libscg transport code version ... This version is an unofficial version with DVD support ... CUE sheet still not accepted. ...
      (Fedora)
    • CD-RW drive will only recognise CD-R as CD-RW
      ... Optical Drive GENERIC CRD-BP1700P (40x/12x/40x CD-RW) ... I assume this is because the disc is showing up as a RW disc. ... However, when I place the same CD-R into the DVD-RW drive, its icon changes ... Jukebox reported that no CD/DVD drives had been detected and so I had to ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)