Re: why so many processes listening?

From: Chris Metzler (cmetzler_at_speakeasy.net)
Date: 03/15/04

    Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 19:51:52 -0500
    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

    On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 15:05:11 -0800
    scott <jazzmans69@cox.net> wrote:

    > Hi all! I'm running a knoppix originated sarge/sid box with the 2.6.3
    > kernel, and I was wondering if y'all could help me out here.
    >
    > When I type netstat -anp, it appears a whole lot of system processes
    > are listening, I'm wondering, which of these do I not need,

    That depends entirely on what you want to have running on your system.
    No one can answer that for you.

    > and which
    > boot config file do I need to edit to stop them from loading again on
    > reboot?

    Generally, you don't. Instead, you use the rcconf or update-rc.d
    commands to select which services you want to run at boot-time. You
    should look at section 2.4 of the Debian Reference, at

    http://www.debian.org/doc/user-manuals#quick-reference

    as well as the man pages for rcconf and update-rc.d.

    > Also, why so many with the kdeinit process?

    Those are UNIX domain sockets, rather than open TCP/IP ports, as the
    headers for the output of the command says. As for why kdeinit uses
    so many sockets, I presume it talks with a lot of other threads.

    > I'm reading the Oreilly 'running linux' but it doesn't say anything
    > about most of these processes.
    >
    > Background info, I have two machines, 192.168.1.50 and 192.168.1.49
    > running behind a linksys router. I don' t currently share any
    > information between them, and am not needing to run any webserver or
    > streaming or ftp or ssh programs. any help would be appreciated.

    If you don't need those things, then it's a good idea to not even have
    them installed. The installation scripts for Debian packages of
    services like apache etc. assume that if you're installing the package,
    it's because you want to use it; so also installed are scripts to fire
    the service up at boot time. If you don't want that, then you can make
    your system more secure by making those services *not* start at boot,
    through the commands above. But an even better option is to not have
    them installed unless you need them.

    The "Securing Debian" Manual may be useful to you:

    http://www.debian.org/doc/user-manuals#securing

    -c

    		(remove "snip-me." to email)

    • List Archive problem?? (Was: Re: Cant boot after installation ==> ALERT! /dev/sda1 doest not exist.
      ... debian wrote: ... I could boot with the linux rescue cd and mount my /dev/sda1 ... But how is that possible if the installation recognized the disk and ... I also tried in raid 0 without the second disk but it remains the ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Trying to boot Lenny after installation
      ... Hi, I'm new to Debian and haven't posted to a mailing list for years so I hope I've posted to the right place, please point me in the right direction if not:)! ... But when I try to boot into Lenny for the first time ... have read the official Debian Lenny installation guide which states ...
      (Debian-User)
    • cannot boot after update
      ... Just installed foo2qpdl for my printer and also dvdrip from debian multimedia. ... Once in gnome i was informed of some new updated packages, ... i now cannot boot into the system anymore. ... This also occurred the other day to my previous debian installation, which was etch 4.0r5 AMD64, i think also after a recommended update. ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: Cannot access the computer
      ... > I tried today to boot from a live CD, but found out that BIOS is set to boot ... > from hard disc and access to BIOS is password protected. ... Regarding the locked Linux system and the Debian installation: ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: Etch installation media doesnt boot (neither NETINST CD, nor floppies), but other distros do...
      ... boot, but it then proceeds to boot off the HD). ... Interestingly it is this particular combination of this machine + debian that doesn't work. ... Etch, perhaps I can use an older release for installation, and then ... This stopped working when the box couldn't upgrade from Sarge to Etch ...
      (Debian-User)