Advice on tulip driver

first.i.last_at_comcast.net
Date: 03/23/04

• Next message: Kevin Mark: "Re: Need help with apt-move"
    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
    Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 04:15:08 +0000

The current distribution has four tulip drivers named tulip, old_tulip, ng_tulip, and tulip_scyld. Can anyone provide information on the differences that characterize these drivers?
    > Content-Type: text/plain
    > Re: grub-install /dev/hda... /dev/.. [ "Derrick 'dman' Hudson" <dman@dman1 ]
    > Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 19:03:24 +0100
    > From: Joris Huizer <jorishuizer@planet.nl>
    > To: Joris Huizer <jorishuizer@planet.nl>
    > Cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org
    > Subject: Howto get xsane with libusb working for normal users (was Re: Howto
    > get an usb scanner working under linux 2.6.3)
    > Message-id: <405F2A6C.9080703@planet.nl>
    > References: <405DC15F.4080505@planet.nl>
    > <20040321170438.1b2ee722.james@tappin.me.uk> <405DDB91.5020307@planet.nl>
    > In-reply-to: <405DDB91.5020307@planet.nl>
    > Content-type: multipart/mixed; boundary="Boundary_(ID_b4DBesq8V/E53/zSHvXhSw)"
    > This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
    > --Boundary_(ID_b4DBesq8V/E53/zSHvXhSw)
    > Content-type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed
    > Content-transfer-encoding: 7BIT
    > Hello,
    > I'm trying to get xsane to work with libusb;
    > Now, as root user xsane finds the scanner but as a normal user xsane
    > doesn't find it! This is both on 2.6.3 and 2.4.24 (where I took out the
    > scanner.o module)
    > I found this page http://www.freecolormanagement.com/sane/libusb.html
    > about configuring libusb but the scanner still doesn't work. I attach
    > /etc/sane.d/epson.conf, /etc/hotplug/usb.usermap, and
    > /etc/hotplug/usb/epson_scanner I currently have
    > Can anybody tell me what's wrong? I've got an Epson Perfection 1650
    > scanner. This is what sane-find-scanner says:
    > found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8, product=0x0110) at libusb:001:004
    > It seems the numbers at libusb keep changing I hope I don't have to
    > update settings each time or so :-/
    > Thanks for any help,
    > Joris
    > --Boundary_(ID_b4DBesq8V/E53/zSHvXhSw)
    > Content-type: text/plain; name=epson.conf
    > Content-transfer-encoding: 7BIT
    > Content-disposition: inline; filename=epson.conf
    > # epson.conf
    > #
    > # here are some examples for how to configure the EPSON backend
    > #
    > # SCSI scanner:
    > #scsi EPSON
    > #
    > # Parallel port scanner:
    > #pio 0x278
    > #pio 0x378
    > #pio 0x3BC
    > #
    > # USB scanner - only enable this if you have an EPSON scanner. It could
    > # otherwise block your non-EPSON scanner from being
    > # recognized.
    > # Depending on your distribution, you may need either the
    > # first or the second entry.
    > #usb /dev/usbscanner0
    > #usb /dev/usb/scanner0
    > #usb
    > #usb libusb:001:003
    > usb 0x04b8 0x0110
    > --Boundary_(ID_b4DBesq8V/E53/zSHvXhSw)
    > Content-type: text/plain; name=usb.usermap
    > Content-transfer-encoding: 7BIT
    > Content-disposition: inline; filename=usb.usermap
    > # This file is installed by the libsane Debian package.
    > #
    > # Sample entry (replace 0xVVVV and 0xPPPP with vendor ID and product ID
    > respectively) :
    > # libusbscanner 0x0003 0xVVVV 0xPPPP 0x0000 0x0000
    > 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
    > 0x00 0x00000000
    > #
    > # usb module match_flags idVendor idProduct bcdDevice_lo bcdDevice_hi
    > bDeviceClass bDeviceSubClass bDeviceProtocol bInterfaceClass bInterfaceSubClass
    > bInterfaceProtocol driver_info
    > #
    > epson_scanner 0x0003 0x04b8 0x0110 0x0000 0x0000 0x00
    > 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
    > 0x00000000
    > --Boundary_(ID_b4DBesq8V/E53/zSHvXhSw)
    > Content-type: text/plain; name=epson_scanner
    > Content-transfer-encoding: 7BIT
    > Content-disposition: inline; filename=epson_scanner
    > #!/bin/bash
    > if [ "${ACTION}" = "add" ] && [ -f "${DEVICE}" ]
    > then
    > chown root "${DEVICE}"
    > chgrp scanner "${DEVICE}"
    > chmod 660 "${DEVICE}"
    > fi
    > --Boundary_(ID_b4DBesq8V/E53/zSHvXhSw)--
    > Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 13:42:35 -0500
    > From: Chris Metzler <cmetzler@speakeasy.net>
    > To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
    > Subject: Re: how can I recover the file I've deleted?
    > Message-Id: <20040322134235.14cd1397.cmetzler@speakeasy.net>
    > >> On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 00:19:01 +0800
    > >> blue_stone <blue_stone@xinhuanet.com> wrote:
    > >>>
    > >>> I use ext3 fs, and i've deleted some important file ,hao can I
    > >>> recover them ?
    > >>
    > >> Unfortunately, you can't.
    > >>
    > >> See about halfway through the ext3 FAQ, at:
    > >>
    > >> http://batleth.sapienti-sat.org/projects/FAQs/ext3-faq.html
    > >
    > > Doesn't the Midnight Commander undelete utility work on ext3?
    > https://listman.redhat.com/archives/ext3-users/2002-June/msg00031.html
    > -c
    > --
    > Chris Metzler cmetzler@speakeasy.snip-me.net
    > (remove "snip-me." to email)
    > "As a child I understood how to give; I have forgotten this grace since I
    > have become civilized." - Chief Luther Standing Bear
    > --Signature=_Mon__22_Mar_2004_13_42_35_-0500_PG1Fc6UUOztXtqOB
    > Content-Type: application/pgp-signature
    > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    > Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (GNU/Linux)
    > iD8DBQFAXzOkEqzZtgaaqqERAvk1AJ9KPijCYulS9kpjOxMZK9pHNmdO6gCfdeoC
    > VolIhgRdryX+1TOOHQUN6mA=
    > =MXVV
    > -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
    > --Signature=_Mon__22_Mar_2004_13_42_35_-0500_PG1Fc6UUOztXtqOB--
    > Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 18:01:52 GMT
    > From: Adam Funk <a24061@yahoo.com>
    > To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
    > Subject: Re: how can I recover the file I've deleted?
    > Message-ID: <kSF7c.429$pl.3885185@news-text.cableinet.net>
    > References: <200403230019.01344.blue_stone@xinhuanet.com>
    > <20040322114139.20005fd0.cmetzler@speakeasy.net>
    > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
    > Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
    > On Monday 22 March 2004 16:50, Chris Metzler wrote:
    > > On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 00:19:01 +0800
    > > blue_stone <blue_stone@xinhuanet.com> wrote:
    > >>
    > >> I use ext3 fs, and i've deleted some important file ,hao can I
    > >> recover them ?
    > >
    > > Unfortunately, you can't.
    > > See about halfway through the ext3 FAQ, at:
    > > http://batleth.sapienti-sat.org/projects/FAQs/ext3-faq.html
    > Doesn't the Midnight Commander undelete utility work on ext3?
    > Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 12:14:11 -0600
    > From: Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com>
    > To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
    > Subject: Re: how can I recover the file I've deleted?
    > Message-ID: <c3nadk$4pv$1@sea.gmane.org>
    > References: <200403230019.01344.blue_stone@xinhuanet.com>
    > <Pine.LNX.3.96.1040322083904.2910A-100000@Maggie.Linux-Consulting.com>
    > In-Reply-To:
    > <Pine.LNX.3.96.1040322083904.2910A-100000@Maggie.Linux-Consulting.com>
    > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed
    > Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
    > Alvin Oga wrote:
    > > On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, blue_stone wrote:
    > >
    > >>I use ext3 fs, and i've deleted some important file ,hao can I recover them ?
    > >
    > > see the list of apps for "undeleting"
    > > http://linux-sec.net/Txt/erase.txt
    > >
    > I did not see mc in there. It has an undelete function that is painless
    > (but only for ext2) but for some reason the Debian package never turns
    > on that function, so I compile mc myself.
    > Hugo.
    > Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 18:47:09 +0000
    > From: James Tappin <james@tappin.me.uk>
    > To: Joris Huizer <jorishuizer@planet.nl>
    > Cc: jorishuizer@planet.nl, debian-user@lists.debian.org
    > Subject: Re: Howto get xsane with libusb working for normal users (was Re:
    > Howto get an usb scanner working under linux 2.6.3)
    > Message-Id: <20040322184709.439c8249.james@tappin.me.uk>
    > References: <405DC15F.4080505@planet.nl>
    > <20040321170438.1b2ee722.james@tappin.me.uk>
    > <405DDB91.5020307@planet.nl>
    > <405F2A6C.9080703@planet.nl>
    > In-Reply-To: <405F2A6C.9080703@planet.nl>
    > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
    > Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
    > On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 19:03:24 +0100
    > Joris Huizer <jorishuizer@planet.nl> wrote:
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I'm trying to get xsane to work with libusb;
    > > Now, as root user xsane finds the scanner but as a normal user xsane
    > > doesn't find it! This is both on 2.6.3 and 2.4.24 (where I took out the
    > > scanner.o module)
    > > I found this page http://www.freecolormanagement.com/sane/libusb.html
    > > about configuring libusb but the scanner still doesn't work. I attach
    > > /etc/sane.d/epson.conf, /etc/hotplug/usb.usermap, and
    > > /etc/hotplug/usb/epson_scanner I currently have
    > > Can anybody tell me what's wrong? I've got an Epson Perfection 1650
    > > scanner. This is what sane-find-scanner says:
    > > found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8, product=0x0110) at libusb:001:004
    > > It seems the numbers at libusb keep changing I hope I don't have to
    > > update settings each time or so :-/
    > > Thanks for any help,
    > You shouldn't need a new script, just use the libusbscanner that is in
    > /etc/hotplug/usb, the pointer to it may need to be in
    > /etc/hotplug/usb/libsane.usermap rather than /usr/hotplug.usb.usermap.
    > Also just a plain usb in epson.conf (i.e. without the manufacturer and
    > model codes) should suffice.
    > James
    > --
    > James Tappin, O__ "I forget the punishment for using
    > james@tappin.me.uk -- \/` Microsoft --- Something lingering
    > http://www.tappin.me.uk/ with data loss in it I fancy"
    > Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 13:13:15 -0600 (CST)
    > From: Cheryl Homiak <chomiak@charter.net>
    > Subject: Re: Soundgrab problem
    > Message-ID: <Pine.LNX.4.58.0403221311170.25617@maranatha.charter.net>
    > References: <Pine.LNX.4.58.0403211812460.9627@maranatha.charter.net>
    > In-Reply-To: <Pine.LNX.4.58.0403211812460.9627@maranatha.charter.net>
    > Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
    > Well, it must be some kind of bug, because I downgraded to the stable
    > version's soundgrab package and that exports for me just fine.
    > --
    > Cheryl
    > "Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."
    > Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 13:39:27 -0500
    > From: Ben Russo <Ben@muppethouse.com>
    > Subject: Re: Firewall Recommendations
    > Message-ID: <c3nbu4$9u7$1@sea.gmane.org>
    > References: <43228.8472344682$1079977350@news.gmane.org>
    > In-Reply-To: <43228.8472344682$1079977350@news.gmane.org>
    > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed
    > Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
    > >>Hi,
    > >>We are thinking about replacing our current small office firewall
    > >>with something more substantial and reliable. What are the current
    > >>debian/iptables based favourites? I'd like to get a good idea of
    > >>where to start reading. All suggestions welcome.
    > >>
    > >> bill
    > > Harland Christofferson wrote:
    > > i use the firestarted package ... works out pretty well for building
    > > iptables. it has a wizard that is easy to use and allows you to port
    > > forward and set up dynamic rules too.
    > Harland,
    > Your mail client is top-posting, and it didn't quote the author
    > correctly. I moved your reply down in this message thread quote...
    > Bill, I use fwbuilder. If you have ever used CheckPoint, this will
    > be very familiar. There may be a little bit of a learning curve,
    > but fwbuilder allows you to build very powerfull rulesets and still
    > have them readable at a glance.
    > -Ben.
    > Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 19:56:04 +0100
    > From: Jaap Haitsma <jaap@haitsma.org>
    > Subject: Getting flash to work in firefox
    > Message-ID: <405F36C4.1030107@haitsma.org>
    > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed
    > Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
    > Hi,
    > I installed the flash plugin from macromedia for firefox/mozilla, but I
    > get an error during startup.
    > LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library
    > /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/libflashplayer.so
    > [libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file
    > or directory]
    > I've got the libc6 and libstdc++5 packages installed. I only do not see
    > libc6.2-2.so.3 anywhere on my system.
    > So what should I do to get it working?
    > Thanks
    > Jaap
    > Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 11:01:21 -0800
    > From: Roy Pluschke <rjplus@shaw.ca>
    > To: debian-user-list <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
    > Subject: Re: Ever heard of Brief?
    > Message-id: <200403221101.21716.rjplus@shaw.ca>
    > References: <87vfkxejfk.fsf_-_@toncho.dhh.gt.org>
    > <016d01c40fc7$9c7db890$388d5bd8@maxnetwork.com>
    > <20040322093526.GA27400@chastell.shot.pl>
    > In-reply-to: <20040322093526.GA27400@chastell.shot.pl>
    > Content-type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
    > Content-transfer-encoding: 7BIT
    > Content-disposition: inline
    > On March 22, 2004 01:35, Shot wrote:
    > > Hello.
    > >
    > > Please don't start a new thread by replaying to
    > > a previous message from list, or at least delete
    > > the In-Reply-To: headers; it's messing up threading.
    > > Anil Gupte:
    > > > One particularly neat feature was the ability to cut and paste
    > > > columns. I have never since found an editor that does that on
    > > > either Windows or Linux. Can anyone point me to such an editor?
    > > Vim does this - when you press Ctrl-V
    > > in normal mode you can select rectangles.
    > >
    > Kwrite, Kate and nedit (my personal favourite) all can select rectangles.
    > R.J.P.
    > Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 10:32:07 -0800 (PST)
    > From: Renhao Zhang <thinkren@yahoo.com>
    > To: aurelien.aa@wanadoo.fr
    > Cc: debian-user-digest@lists.debian.org
    > Subject: Re: networking problem encountered while installing "Woody"
    > Message-ID: <20040322183207.50404.qmail@web21324.mail.yahoo.com>
    > In-Reply-To: <1079967285.3161.13.camel@orangebud.budies.freedom>
    > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
    > --- Aurélien_Campéas <aurelien.aa@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
    > > You have a problem with dhcp here. Are you sure you want it ? It
    > > seems
    > > like the dhcp client doesn't find a dhcp server...
    > > I mean, why not pick up some private ip adress (like 192.168.0.2) and
    > > rewrite your eth0 entry in /etc/network/interfaces as :
    > > auto eth0
    > > iface eth0 inet static
    > > address 192.168.0.2
    > > netmask 255.255.255.0
    > > network 192.168.0.0
    > > broadcast 192.168.0.255
    > I've already tried to do this, hoping the DHCP serving modem might
    > accept it. it didn't work. When I referenced the bullitin board I
    > found with another case of the same situation, your suggestion of
    > recompiling the kernel with networking built in was also mentioned.
    > Since it was the only thing I have yet to try, I figured it was worth a
    > shot.
    > > Hasn't your windows box a fixed IP already ? If so, just take the
    > > same
    > > IP...
    > no...the windows is a DHCP client as well...
    > > This may be simpler than trying to fix dhcp (also I don't have any
    > > experience with it so I can't help on that)...
    > Regardless, I appreciate your insights. Feel free to suggest anything
    > that I might look into.
    > > Q: How many Martians does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: One
    > > and a
    > > half.
    > >
    > Q: Are they running Woody, Sarge, or Sid?
    > __________________________________
    > Do you Yahoo!?
    > Yahoo! Finance Tax Center - File online. File on time.
    > http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
    > Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 19:06:41 +0000
    > From: Brian Brazil <bbrazil@netsoc.tcd.ie>
    > To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
    > Subject: Re: how to download java class file from a web page to loca dir
    > Message-ID: <20040322190641.GB4917@matrix.netsoc.tcd.ie>
    > References: <405EF7B4.6080609@iitg.ernet.in>
    > In-Reply-To: <405EF7B4.6080609@iitg.ernet.in>
    > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
    > Content-Disposition: inline
    > On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 07:57:00PM +0530, J.S.Sahambi wrote:
    > > I am using Mozilla 1.6 in Debian/unstable with j2re. I am able to view
    > > java applets with it without any problem. Now in case I want to save the
    > > java.class file in my local dir (so that I can run it later), how do I
    > Hello
    > Debian STX (<debian@stx.rr.com>) wrote:
    > > I've added deb http://ftp.at.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/3.2/Debian
    > > stable/main
    > > but does anyone have the apt steps to get kde 3.2 downloaded and
    > > installed?
    > First you need to run apt-get update to read the list of packages. Next
    > you can try to run apt-get upgrade. Probably you will however need to
    > run apt-get dist-upgrade because you need to install new packages. Some
    > installed packages (like the kde meta packages) will be removed. Wenn I
    > installed KDE 3, I removed the existing KDE installation:
    > apt-get --purge remove kde.*
    > and installed KDE using the group packages:
    > apt-get install kdebase kdenetwork kdegames kdeadmin...
    > best regards
    > Andreas Janssen
    > --
    > Andreas Janssen <andreas.janssen@bigfoot.com>
    > PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674
    > Registered Linux User #267976
    > http://www.andreas-janssen.de/debian-tipps.html
    > Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 19:13:59 +0000
    > From: Brian Brazil <bbrazil@netsoc.tcd.ie>
    > To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
    > Subject: Re: Rooted? Could anything innocently alter the "i" flag?
    > Message-ID: <20040322191359.GC4917@matrix.netsoc.tcd.ie>
    > References: <20040322182125.GF8799@acampbell.org.uk>
    > In-Reply-To: <20040322182125.GF8799@acampbell.org.uk>
    > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
    > Content-Disposition: inline
    > On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 06:21:25PM +0000, Anthony Campbell wrote:
    > > Recently I found that the "i" flag had been set on /bin/ps. I removed it
    > > with chattr -i. Now the flag has reappeared!
    > >
    > > Is there any way this could conceivably happen innocently following
    > > routine upgrades via aptitude? Do I have to do a complete reinstall?
    > Weird ideas that probably won't work:
    > 1) chattr +i /bin - look for error messages
    > 2) Any of the bastille packages installed?
    > 3) lsof?
    > 4) fix chattr, reinstall, get md5sum, wait
    > Brian
    > Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 20:06:54 +0100
    > From: Nils-Erik =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Svang=E5rd?= <wizzo@ludd.luth.se>
    > To: Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.ca>
    > Cc: Debian User Mailinglist <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
    > Subject: Re: Themes GTK?
    > Message-Id: <1079982413.27752.46.camel@p-nisse>
    > References: <1079962863.9215.3.camel@p-nisse> <87ptb44uy4.fsf@ursine.ca>
    > In-Reply-To: <87ptb44uy4.fsf@ursine.ca>
    > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
    > Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
    > Restarting, rebooting and reinstalling dosent change the themes even
    > though I use gtk-theme-switch
    > /nisse
    > On Mon, 2004-03-22 at 19:07, Paul Johnson wrote:
    > > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    > > Hash: SHA1
    > > Nils-Erik Svangĺrd <wizzo@ludd.luth.se> writes:
    > > > Hi!
    > > > I'm using unstable, and with some applications (Evolution, Abiword,
    > > > gnumeric etc) the themes doesnt seem to change when I use
    > > > gtk-theme-switch or gtk-theme-switch2. Since both are GTK apps they
    > > > should change.
    > > > What am I doing wrong?
    > >
    > > Not restarting the GTK programs in question.
    > > - --
    > > .''`. Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.ca>
    > > : :' :
    > > `. `'` proud Debian admin and user
    > > `- Debian. Because it *must* work. debian.org aboutdebian.com
    > > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    > > Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (GNU/Linux)
    > > iD8DBQFAXytTUzgNqloQMwcRAsMrAKCcaAXsd6JiTyI1biUN9+km6EZHLQCcDAQ3
    > > V/DkKnnqKiZJbe/xIyGxF1Y=
    > > =4d/7
    > > -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
    > Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 13:12:08 -0600
    > From: Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com>
    > To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
    > Subject: Re: how can I recover the file I've deleted?
    > Message-ID: <c3ndq8$g29$1@sea.gmane.org>
    > >>On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 00:19:01 +0800
    > >>blue_stone <blue_stone@xinhuanet.com> wrote:
    > >>
    > >>>I use ext3 fs, and i've deleted some important file ,hao can I
    > >>>recover them ?
    > >>
    > >>Unfortunately, you can't.
    > >>
    > >>See about halfway through the ext3 FAQ, at:
    > >>
    > >>http://batleth.sapienti-sat.org/projects/FAQs/ext3-faq.html
    > >
    > > Doesn't the Midnight Commander undelete utility work on ext3?
    > No. And... that option is (in my installations) absent from the Debian
    > package.
    > Hugo
    > Date: 22 Mar 2004 20:18:19 +0100
    > From: gnalle@ruc.dk (Niels L. Ellegaard)
    > To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
    > Subject: grub-install /dev/hda... /dev/.../disc does not have any corresponding
    > BIOS drive
    > Message-ID: <7w7jxcadxg.fsf@i19.ruc.dk>
    > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
    > I tried changing bootloader from lilo to grub, but I am stuck halfway
    > in the process, and I am slightly afraid of rebooting. (BTW I am using
    > debian testing). Here is what I did
    > root:gnalle# apt-get install grub grub-doc
    > root:gnalle# grub-install /dev/hda
    > Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time.
    > /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc does not have any correspondin
    > root:gnalle# update-grub
    > Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub .
    > /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 does not have any correspondi
    > I tried looking at google, but I could not understand what was the
    > reason for the errors. I would be grateful for any hint or
    > enlighteling flame.
    > If I reboot now, will my lilo still be working or will my system try
    > to boot from a malfunctional grub? Where should I look to find out?
    > Thanks in advance
    > Niels
    > A bit of extra info:
    > root:gnalle# cat /etc/mtab
    > /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part3 / ext3 rw,errors=remount-ro 0 0
    > proc /proc proc rw 0 0
    > devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
    > /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 /boot ext2 rw 0 0
    > /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part4 /home ext3 rw 0 0
    > tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
    > usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw 0 0
    > none /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc rw 0 0
    > root:gnalle# cat /etc/fstab
    > # /etc/fstab: information om statisk filsystem.
    > #
    > On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 08:18:19PM +0100, Niels L. Ellegaard wrote:
    > |=20
    > | I tried changing bootloader from lilo to grub, but I am stuck halfway
    > | in the process, and I am slightly afraid of rebooting. (BTW I am using
    > | debian testing). Here is what I did
    > |=20
    > | root:gnalle# apt-get install grub grub-doc
    > |=20
    > | root:gnalle# grub-install /dev/hda
    > | Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time.
    > | /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc does not have any correspondin
    > |=20
    > | root:gnalle# update-grub
    > | Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub .
    > | /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 does not have any correspondi
    > Edit /boot/grub/device.map and change the line that says
    > (hd0) /dev/hda
    > to
    > (hd0) /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc
    > grub-install doesn't handle the devfs-style symlink naming as
    > gracefully as it ought.
    > | If I reboot now, will my lilo still be working
    > Probably.
    > | or will my system try
    > | to boot from a malfunctional grub?
    > Possibly, but I don't think it will.
    > | Where should I look to find out?
    > The screen, while you are trying to boot ;-).
    > Seriously, though, you should have a floppy disk or cd handy to boot
    > if necessary.
    > -D
    > --=20
    > Microsoft is to operating systems & security ....
    > .... what McDonald's is to gourmet cook=
    > ing
    > =20
    > www: http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/ jabber: dman@dman13.dyndns.=
    > org
    > --mYCpIKhGyMATD0i+
    > Content-Type: application/pgp-signature; name="signature.asc"
    > Content-Description: Digital signature
    > Content-Disposition: inline
    > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    > Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (GNU/Linux)
    > iD8DBQFAX0OxiB6vp1xAVUARAp8XAJwPcICFsmId+GU6VLxqEWJWToburgCdHecf
    > 1v0wAOZ8L8ldtpaHaS269Q0=
    > =jUCk
    > -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
    > --mYCpIKhGyMATD0i+--

To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-request@lists.debian.org
    with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

• Next message: Kevin Mark: "Re: Need help with apt-move"