Advice on tulip driver

first.i.last_at_comcast.net
Date: 03/23/04

• Next message: Kevin Mark: "Re: Need help with apt-move"
    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
    Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 04:15:08 +0000

The current distribution has four tulip drivers named tulip, old_tulip, ng_tulip, and tulip_scyld. Can anyone provide information on the differences that characterize these drivers?
    > Content-Type: text/plain
    > Re: grub-install /dev/hda... /dev/.. [ "Derrick 'dman' Hudson" <dman@dman1 ]
    > Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 19:03:24 +0100
    > From: Joris Huizer <jorishuizer@planet.nl>
    > To: Joris Huizer <jorishuizer@planet.nl>
    > Cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org
    > Subject: Howto get xsane with libusb working for normal users (was Re: Howto
    > get an usb scanner working under linux 2.6.3)
    > Message-id: <405F2A6C.9080703@planet.nl>
    > References: <405DC15F.4080505@planet.nl>
    > <20040321170438.1b2ee722.james@tappin.me.uk> <405DDB91.5020307@planet.nl>
    > In-reply-to: <405DDB91.5020307@planet.nl>
    > Content-type: multipart/mixed; boundary="Boundary_(ID_b4DBesq8V/E53/zSHvXhSw)"
    > This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
    > --Boundary_(ID_b4DBesq8V/E53/zSHvXhSw)
    > Content-type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed
    > Content-transfer-encoding: 7BIT
    > Hello,
    > I'm trying to get xsane to work with libusb;
    > Now, as root user xsane finds the scanner but as a normal user xsane
    > doesn't find it! This is both on 2.6.3 and 2.4.24 (where I took out the
    > scanner.o module)
    > I found this page http://www.freecolormanagement.com/sane/libusb.html
    > about configuring libusb but the scanner still doesn't work. I attach
    > /etc/sane.d/epson.conf, /etc/hotplug/usb.usermap, and
    > /etc/hotplug/usb/epson_scanner I currently have
    > Can anybody tell me what's wrong? I've got an Epson Perfection 1650
    > scanner. This is what sane-find-scanner says:
    > found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8, product=0x0110) at libusb:001:004
    > It seems the numbers at libusb keep changing I hope I don't have to
    > update settings each time or so :-/
    > Thanks for any help,
    > Joris
    > --Boundary_(ID_b4DBesq8V/E53/zSHvXhSw)
    > Content-type: text/plain; name=epson.conf
    > Content-transfer-encoding: 7BIT
    > Content-disposition: inline; filename=epson.conf
    > # epson.conf
    > #
    > # here are some examples for how to configure the EPSON backend
    > #
    > # SCSI scanner:
    > #scsi EPSON
    > #
    > # Parallel port scanner:
    > #pio 0x278
    > #pio 0x378
    > #pio 0x3BC
    > #
    > # USB scanner - only enable this if you have an EPSON scanner. It could
    > # otherwise block your non-EPSON scanner from being
    > # recognized.
    > # Depending on your distribution, you may need either the
    > # first or the second entry.
    > #usb /dev/usbscanner0
    > #usb /dev/usb/scanner0
    > #usb
    > #usb libusb:001:003
    > usb 0x04b8 0x0110
    > --Boundary_(ID_b4DBesq8V/E53/zSHvXhSw)
    > Content-type: text/plain; name=usb.usermap
    > Content-transfer-encoding: 7BIT
    > Content-disposition: inline; filename=usb.usermap
    > # This file is installed by the libsane Debian package.
    > #
    > # Sample entry (replace 0xVVVV and 0xPPPP with vendor ID and product ID
    > respectively) :
    > # libusbscanner 0x0003 0xVVVV 0xPPPP 0x0000 0x0000
    > 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
    > 0x00 0x00000000
    > #
    > # usb module match_flags idVendor idProduct bcdDevice_lo bcdDevice_hi
    > bDeviceClass bDeviceSubClass bDeviceProtocol bInterfaceClass bInterfaceSubClass
    > bInterfaceProtocol driver_info
    > #
    > epson_scanner 0x0003 0x04b8 0x0110 0x0000 0x0000 0x00
    > 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
    > 0x00000000
    > --Boundary_(ID_b4DBesq8V/E53/zSHvXhSw)
    > Content-type: text/plain; name=epson_scanner
    > Content-transfer-encoding: 7BIT
    > Content-disposition: inline; filename=epson_scanner
    > #!/bin/bash
    > if [ "${ACTION}" = "add" ] && [ -f "${DEVICE}" ]
    > then
    > chown root "${DEVICE}"
    > chgrp scanner "${DEVICE}"
    > chmod 660 "${DEVICE}"
    > fi
    > --Boundary_(ID_b4DBesq8V/E53/zSHvXhSw)--
    > Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 13:42:35 -0500
    > From: Chris Metzler <cmetzler@speakeasy.net>
    > To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
    > Subject: Re: how can I recover the file I've deleted?
    > Message-Id: <20040322134235.14cd1397.cmetzler@speakeasy.net>
    > >> On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 00:19:01 +0800
    > >> blue_stone <blue_stone@xinhuanet.com> wrote:
    > >>>
    > >>> I use ext3 fs, and i've deleted some important file ,hao can I
    > >>> recover them ?
    > >>
    > >> Unfortunately, you can't.
    > >>
    > >> See about halfway through the ext3 FAQ, at:
    > >>
    > >> http://batleth.sapienti-sat.org/projects/FAQs/ext3-faq.html
    > >
    > > Doesn't the Midnight Commander undelete utility work on ext3?
    > https://listman.redhat.com/archives/ext3-users/2002-June/msg00031.html
    > -c
    > --
    > Chris Metzler cmetzler@speakeasy.snip-me.net
    > (remove "snip-me." to email)
    > "As a child I understood how to give; I have forgotten this grace since I
    > have become civilized." - Chief Luther Standing Bear
    > --Signature=_Mon__22_Mar_2004_13_42_35_-0500_PG1Fc6UUOztXtqOB
    > Content-Type: application/pgp-signature
    > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    > Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (GNU/Linux)
    > iD8DBQFAXzOkEqzZtgaaqqERAvk1AJ9KPijCYulS9kpjOxMZK9pHNmdO6gCfdeoC
    > VolIhgRdryX+1TOOHQUN6mA=
    > =MXVV
    > -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
    > --Signature=_Mon__22_Mar_2004_13_42_35_-0500_PG1Fc6UUOztXtqOB--
    > Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 18:01:52 GMT
    > From: Adam Funk <a24061@yahoo.com>
    > To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
    > Subject: Re: how can I recover the file I've deleted?
    > Message-ID: <kSF7c.429$pl.3885185@news-text.cableinet.net>
    > References: <200403230019.01344.blue_stone@xinhuanet.com>
    > <20040322114139.20005fd0.cmetzler@speakeasy.net>
    > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
    > Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
    > On Monday 22 March 2004 16:50, Chris Metzler wrote:
    > > On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 00:19:01 +0800
    > > blue_stone <blue_stone@xinhuanet.com> wrote:
    > >>
    > >> I use ext3 fs, and i've deleted some important file ,hao can I
    > >> recover them ?
    > >
    > > Unfortunately, you can't.
    > > See about halfway through the ext3 FAQ, at:
    > > http://batleth.sapienti-sat.org/projects/FAQs/ext3-faq.html
    > Doesn't the Midnight Commander undelete utility work on ext3?
    > Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 12:14:11 -0600
    > From: Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com>
    > To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
    > Subject: Re: how can I recover the file I've deleted?
    > Message-ID: <c3nadk$4pv$1@sea.gmane.org>
    > References: <200403230019.01344.blue_stone@xinhuanet.com>
    > <Pine.LNX.3.96.1040322083904.2910A-100000@Maggie.Linux-Consulting.com>
    > In-Reply-To:
    > <Pine.LNX.3.96.1040322083904.2910A-100000@Maggie.Linux-Consulting.com>
    > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed
    > Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
    > Alvin Oga wrote:
    > > On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, blue_stone wrote:
    > >
    > >>I use ext3 fs, and i've deleted some important file ,hao can I recover them ?
    > >
    > > see the list of apps for "undeleting"
    > > http://linux-sec.net/Txt/erase.txt
    > >
    > I did not see mc in there. It has an undelete function that is painless
    > (but only for ext2) but for some reason the Debian package never turns
    > on that function, so I compile mc myself.
    > Hugo.
    > Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 18:47:09 +0000
    > From: James Tappin <james@tappin.me.uk>
    > To: Joris Huizer <jorishuizer@planet.nl>
    > Cc: jorishuizer@planet.nl, debian-user@lists.debian.org
    > Subject: Re: Howto get xsane with libusb working for normal users (was Re:
    > Howto get an usb scanner working under linux 2.6.3)
    > Message-Id: <20040322184709.439c8249.james@tappin.me.uk>
    > References: <405DC15F.4080505@planet.nl>
    > <20040321170438.1b2ee722.james@tappin.me.uk>
    > <405DDB91.5020307@planet.nl>
    > <405F2A6C.9080703@planet.nl>
    > In-Reply-To: <405F2A6C.9080703@planet.nl>
    > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
    > Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
    > On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 19:03:24 +0100
    > Joris Huizer <jorishuizer@planet.nl> wrote:
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I'm trying to get xsane to work with libusb;
    > > Now, as root user xsane finds the scanner but as a normal user xsane
    > > doesn't find it! This is both on 2.6.3 and 2.4.24 (where I took out the
    > > scanner.o module)
    > > I found this page http://www.freecolormanagement.com/sane/libusb.html
    > > about configuring libusb but the scanner still doesn't work. I attach
    > > /etc/sane.d/epson.conf, /etc/hotplug/usb.usermap, and
    > > /etc/hotplug/usb/epson_scanner I currently have
    > > Can anybody tell me what's wrong? I've got an Epson Perfection 1650
    > > scanner. This is what sane-find-scanner says:
    > > found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8, product=0x0110) at libusb:001:004
    > > It seems the numbers at libusb keep changing I hope I don't have to
    > > update settings each time or so :-/
    > > Thanks for any help,
    > You shouldn't need a new script, just use the libusbscanner that is in
    > /etc/hotplug/usb, the pointer to it may need to be in
    > /etc/hotplug/usb/libsane.usermap rather than /usr/hotplug.usb.usermap.
    > Also just a plain usb in epson.conf (i.e. without the manufacturer and
    > model codes) should suffice.
    > James
    > --
    > James Tappin, O__ "I forget the punishment for using
    > james@tappin.me.uk -- \/` Microsoft --- Something lingering
    > http://www.tappin.me.uk/ with data loss in it I fancy"
    > Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 13:13:15 -0600 (CST)
    > From: Cheryl Homiak <chomiak@charter.net>
    > Subject: Re: Soundgrab problem
    > Message-ID: <Pine.LNX.4.58.0403221311170.25617@maranatha.charter.net>
    > References: <Pine.LNX.4.58.0403211812460.9627@maranatha.charter.net>
    > In-Reply-To: <Pine.LNX.4.58.0403211812460.9627@maranatha.charter.net>
    > Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
    > Well, it must be some kind of bug, because I downgraded to the stable
    > version's soundgrab package and that exports for me just fine.
    > --
    > Cheryl
    > "Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."
    > Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 13:39:27 -0500
    > From: Ben Russo <Ben@muppethouse.com>
    > Subject: Re: Firewall Recommendations
    > Message-ID: <c3nbu4$9u7$1@sea.gmane.org>
    > References: <43228.8472344682$1079977350@news.gmane.org>
    > In-Reply-To: <43228.8472344682$1079977350@news.gmane.org>
    > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed
    > Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
    > >>Hi,
    > >>We are thinking about replacing our current small office firewall
    > >>with something more substantial and reliable. What are the current
    > >>debian/iptables based favourites? I'd like to get a good idea of
    > >>where to start reading. All suggestions welcome.
    > >>
    > >> bill
    > > Harland Christofferson wrote:
    > > i use the firestarted package ... works out pretty well for building
    > > iptables. it has a wizard that is easy to use and allows you to port
    > > forward and set up dynamic rules too.
    > Harland,
    > Your mail client is top-posting, and it didn't quote the author
    > correctly. I moved your reply down in this message thread quote...
    > Bill, I use fwbuilder. If you have ever used CheckPoint, this will
    > be very familiar. There may be a little bit of a learning curve,
    > but fwbuilder allows you to build very powerfull rulesets and still
    > have them readable at a glance.
    > -Ben.
    > Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 19:56:04 +0100
    > From: Jaap Haitsma <jaap@haitsma.org>
    > Subject: Getting flash to work in firefox
    > Message-ID: <405F36C4.1030107@haitsma.org>
    > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed
    > Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
    > Hi,
    > I installed the flash plugin from macromedia for firefox/mozilla, but I
    > get an error during startup.
    > LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library
    > /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/libflashplayer.so
    > [libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file
    > or directory]
    > I've got the libc6 and libstdc++5 packages installed. I only do not see
    > libc6.2-2.so.3 anywhere on my system.
    > So what should I do to get it working?
    > Thanks
    > Jaap
    > Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 11:01:21 -0800
    > From: Roy Pluschke <rjplus@shaw.ca>
    > To: debian-user-list <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
    > Subject: Re: Ever heard of Brief?
    > Message-id: <200403221101.21716.rjplus@shaw.ca>
    > References: <87vfkxejfk.fsf_-_@toncho.dhh.gt.org>
    > <016d01c40fc7$9c7db890$388d5bd8@maxnetwork.com>
    > <20040322093526.GA27400@chastell.shot.pl>
    > In-reply-to: <20040322093526.GA27400@chastell.shot.pl>
    > Content-type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
    > Content-transfer-encoding: 7BIT
    > Content-disposition: inline
    > On March 22, 2004 01:35, Shot wrote:
    > > Hello.
    > >
    > > Please don't start a new thread by replaying to
    > > a previous message from list, or at least delete
    > > the In-Reply-To: headers; it's messing up threading.
    > > Anil Gupte:
    > > > One particularly neat feature was the ability to cut and paste
    > > > columns. I have never since found an editor that does that on
    > > > either Windows or Linux. Can anyone point me to such an editor?
    > > Vim does this - when you press Ctrl-V
    > > in normal mode you can select rectangles.
    > >
    > Kwrite, Kate and nedit (my personal favourite) all can select rectangles.
    > R.J.P.
    > Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 10:32:07 -0800 (PST)
    > From: Renhao Zhang <thinkren@yahoo.com>
    > To: aurelien.aa@wanadoo.fr
    > Cc: debian-user-digest@lists.debian.org
    > Subject: Re: networking problem encountered while installing "Woody"
    > Message-ID: <20040322183207.50404.qmail@web21324.mail.yahoo.com>
    > In-Reply-To: <1079967285.3161.13.camel@orangebud.budies.freedom>
    > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
    > --- Aurélien_Campéas <aurelien.aa@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
    > > You have a problem with dhcp here. Are you sure you want it ? It
    > > seems
    > > like the dhcp client doesn't find a dhcp server...
    > > I mean, why not pick up some private ip adress (like 192.168.0.2) and
    > > rewrite your eth0 entry in /etc/network/interfaces as :
    > > auto eth0
    > > iface eth0 inet static
    > > address 192.168.0.2
    > > netmask 255.255.255.0
    > > network 192.168.0.0
    > > broadcast 192.168.0.255
    > I've already tried to do this, hoping the DHCP serving modem might
    > accept it. it didn't work. When I referenced the bullitin board I
    > found with another case of the same situation, your suggestion of
    > recompiling the kernel with networking built in was also mentioned.
    > Since it was the only thing I have yet to try, I figured it was worth a
    > shot.
    > > Hasn't your windows box a fixed IP already ? If so, just take the
    > > same
    > > IP...
    > no...the windows is a DHCP client as well...
    > > This may be simpler than trying to fix dhcp (also I don't have any
    > > experience with it so I can't help on that)...
    > Regardless, I appreciate your insights. Feel free to suggest anything
    > that I might look into.
    > > Q: How many Martians does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: One
    > > and a
    > > half.
    > >
    > Q: Are they running Woody, Sarge, or Sid?
    > __________________________________
    > Do you Yahoo!?
    > Yahoo! Finance Tax Center - File online. File on time.
    > http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
    > Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 19:06:41 +0000
    > From: Brian Brazil <bbrazil@netsoc.tcd.ie>
    > To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
    > Subject: Re: how to download java class file from a web page to loca dir
    > Message-ID: <20040322190641.GB4917@matrix.netsoc.tcd.ie>
    > References: <405EF7B4.6080609@iitg.ernet.in>
    > In-Reply-To: <405EF7B4.6080609@iitg.ernet.in>
    > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
    > Content-Disposition: inline
    > On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 07:57:00PM +0530, J.S.Sahambi wrote:
    > > I am using Mozilla 1.6 in Debian/unstable with j2re. I am able to view
    > > java applets with it without any problem. Now in case I want to save the
    > > java.class file in my local dir (so that I can run it later), how do I
    > Hello
    > Debian STX (<debian@stx.rr.com>) wrote:
    > > I've added deb http://ftp.at.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/3.2/Debian
    > > stable/main
    > > but does anyone have the apt steps to get kde 3.2 downloaded and
    > > installed?
    > First you need to run apt-get update to read the list of packages. Next
    > you can try to run apt-get upgrade. Probably you will however need to
    > run apt-get dist-upgrade because you need to install new packages. Some
    > installed packages (like the kde meta packages) will be removed. Wenn I
    > installed KDE 3, I removed the existing KDE installation:
    > apt-get --purge remove kde.*
    > and installed KDE using the group packages:
    > apt-get install kdebase kdenetwork kdegames kdeadmin...
    > best regards
    > Andreas Janssen
    > --
    > Andreas Janssen <andreas.janssen@bigfoot.com>
    > PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674
    > Registered Linux User #267976
    > http://www.andreas-janssen.de/debian-tipps.html
    > Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 19:13:59 +0000
    > From: Brian Brazil <bbrazil@netsoc.tcd.ie>
    > To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
    > Subject: Re: Rooted? Could anything innocently alter the "i" flag?
    > Message-ID: <20040322191359.GC4917@matrix.netsoc.tcd.ie>
    > References: <20040322182125.GF8799@acampbell.org.uk>
    > In-Reply-To: <20040322182125.GF8799@acampbell.org.uk>
    > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
    > Content-Disposition: inline
    > On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 06:21:25PM +0000, Anthony Campbell wrote:
    > > Recently I found that the "i" flag had been set on /bin/ps. I removed it
    > > with chattr -i. Now the flag has reappeared!
    > >
    > > Is there any way this could conceivably happen innocently following
    > > routine upgrades via aptitude? Do I have to do a complete reinstall?
    > Weird ideas that probably won't work:
    > 1) chattr +i /bin - look for error messages
    > 2) Any of the bastille packages installed?
    > 3) lsof?
    > 4) fix chattr, reinstall, get md5sum, wait
    > Brian
    > Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 20:06:54 +0100
    > From: Nils-Erik =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Svang=E5rd?= <wizzo@ludd.luth.se>
    > To: Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.ca>
    > Cc: Debian User Mailinglist <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
    > Subject: Re: Themes GTK?
    > Message-Id: <1079982413.27752.46.camel@p-nisse>
    > References: <1079962863.9215.3.camel@p-nisse> <87ptb44uy4.fsf@ursine.ca>
    > In-Reply-To: <87ptb44uy4.fsf@ursine.ca>
    > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
    > Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
    > Restarting, rebooting and reinstalling dosent change the themes even
    > though I use gtk-theme-switch
    > /nisse
    > On Mon, 2004-03-22 at 19:07, Paul Johnson wrote:
    > > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    > > Hash: SHA1
    > > Nils-Erik Svangĺrd <wizzo@ludd.luth.se> writes:
    > > > Hi!
    > > > I'm using unstable, and with some applications (Evolution, Abiword,
    > > > gnumeric etc) the themes doesnt seem to change when I use
    > > > gtk-theme-switch or gtk-theme-switch2. Since both are GTK apps they
    > > > should change.
    > > > What am I doing wrong?
    > >
    > > Not restarting the GTK programs in question.
    > > - --
    > > .''`. Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.ca>
    > > : :' :
    > > `. `'` proud Debian admin and user
    > > `- Debian. Because it *must* work. debian.org aboutdebian.com
    > > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    > > Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (GNU/Linux)
    > > iD8DBQFAXytTUzgNqloQMwcRAsMrAKCcaAXsd6JiTyI1biUN9+km6EZHLQCcDAQ3
    > > V/DkKnnqKiZJbe/xIyGxF1Y=
    > > =4d/7
    > > -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
    > Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 13:12:08 -0600
    > From: Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com>
    > To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
    > Subject: Re: how can I recover the file I've deleted?
    > Message-ID: <c3ndq8$g29$1@sea.gmane.org>
    > >>On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 00:19:01 +0800
    > >>blue_stone <blue_stone@xinhuanet.com> wrote:
    > >>
    > >>>I use ext3 fs, and i've deleted some important file ,hao can I
    > >>>recover them ?
    > >>
    > >>Unfortunately, you can't.
    > >>
    > >>See about halfway through the ext3 FAQ, at:
    > >>
    > >>http://batleth.sapienti-sat.org/projects/FAQs/ext3-faq.html
    > >
    > > Doesn't the Midnight Commander undelete utility work on ext3?
    > No. And... that option is (in my installations) absent from the Debian
    > package.
    > Hugo
    > Date: 22 Mar 2004 20:18:19 +0100
    > From: gnalle@ruc.dk (Niels L. Ellegaard)
    > To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
    > Subject: grub-install /dev/hda... /dev/.../disc does not have any corresponding
    > BIOS drive
    > Message-ID: <7w7jxcadxg.fsf@i19.ruc.dk>
    > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
    > I tried changing bootloader from lilo to grub, but I am stuck halfway
    > in the process, and I am slightly afraid of rebooting. (BTW I am using
    > debian testing). Here is what I did
    > root:gnalle# apt-get install grub grub-doc
    > root:gnalle# grub-install /dev/hda
    > Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time.
    > /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc does not have any correspondin
    > root:gnalle# update-grub
    > Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub .
    > /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 does not have any correspondi
    > I tried looking at google, but I could not understand what was the
    > reason for the errors. I would be grateful for any hint or
    > enlighteling flame.
    > If I reboot now, will my lilo still be working or will my system try
    > to boot from a malfunctional grub? Where should I look to find out?
    > Thanks in advance
    > Niels
    > A bit of extra info:
    > root:gnalle# cat /etc/mtab
    > /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part3 / ext3 rw,errors=remount-ro 0 0
    > proc /proc proc rw 0 0
    > devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
    > /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 /boot ext2 rw 0 0
    > /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part4 /home ext3 rw 0 0
    > tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
    > usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw 0 0
    > none /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc rw 0 0
    > root:gnalle# cat /etc/fstab
    > # /etc/fstab: information om statisk filsystem.
    > #
    > On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 08:18:19PM +0100, Niels L. Ellegaard wrote:
    > |=20
    > | I tried changing bootloader from lilo to grub, but I am stuck halfway
    > | in the process, and I am slightly afraid of rebooting. (BTW I am using
    > | debian testing). Here is what I did
    > |=20
    > | root:gnalle# apt-get install grub grub-doc
    > |=20
    > | root:gnalle# grub-install /dev/hda
    > | Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time.
    > | /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc does not have any correspondin
    > |=20
    > | root:gnalle# update-grub
    > | Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub .
    > | /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 does not have any correspondi
    > Edit /boot/grub/device.map and change the line that says
    > (hd0) /dev/hda
    > to
    > (hd0) /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc
    > grub-install doesn't handle the devfs-style symlink naming as
    > gracefully as it ought.
    > | If I reboot now, will my lilo still be working
    > Probably.
    > | or will my system try
    > | to boot from a malfunctional grub?
    > Possibly, but I don't think it will.
    > | Where should I look to find out?
    > The screen, while you are trying to boot ;-).
    > Seriously, though, you should have a floppy disk or cd handy to boot
    > if necessary.
    > -D
    > --=20
    > Microsoft is to operating systems & security ....
    > .... what McDonald's is to gourmet cook=
    > ing
    > =20
    > www: http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/ jabber: dman@dman13.dyndns.=
    > org
    > --mYCpIKhGyMATD0i+
    > Content-Type: application/pgp-signature; name="signature.asc"
    > Content-Description: Digital signature
    > Content-Disposition: inline
    > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    > Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (GNU/Linux)
    > iD8DBQFAX0OxiB6vp1xAVUARAp8XAJwPcICFsmId+GU6VLxqEWJWToburgCdHecf
    > 1v0wAOZ8L8ldtpaHaS269Q0=
    > =jUCk
    > -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
    > --mYCpIKhGyMATD0i+--

To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-request@lists.debian.org
    with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

• Next message: Kevin Mark: "Re: Need help with apt-move"

Relevant Pages

• Re: WinXP and HP ScanJet 5300cxi scanner installation issues
      ... > I have contacted HP support for help resolving the installation issues ... > problems if the hardware does not match in the initial installation ... > the scanner driver and HP software installation. ... > The error message reads: "5300C Windows XP Driver Update has ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: Feedback wanted for a drag-and-drop install location interface for PackMan
      ... You mean the "Packages to configure"? ... fact that items in that window can be selected. ... the window for the current app. ... installation (though that's at odds with my comments about the drag and drop ...
      (comp.sys.acorn.apps)
    • Re: [SLE] late KDE update!
      ... >> installing first all the base packages. ... e) Added the new installation source in YaST using a local mirror. ... t) The conflict window returned with several KDE packages listed. ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: XP Full/upgrade what?
      ... You have a current installation of Windows 98/98SE/ME/NT ... "FULL OEM" CD. ... The COA and Product Keys for these packages will be the same as the ... packages from Microsoft, ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
    • RE: ubuntu-users Digest, Vol 75, Issue 260
      ... Grub 2 and moved sytem ... I've done it as I usually do, by copying the installation from one partition ... when does partition order change without the user doing ... Non-free packages installed on thezorch-desktop ...
      (Ubuntu)