Re: Debian in Server Farm

From: Mark Ferlatte (ferlatte_at_cryptio.net)
Date: 03/30/04

    Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 10:51:28 -0800
    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

    Michael Bellears said on Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 03:04:58PM +1000:
    > 1. What is the recommended method to synch config files on all "real"
    > servers (Eg. Httpd.conf, horde/imp config files etc?) - Have only one
    > server that admins connect to for mods, then rsync any changes to the
    > other servers?

    Not sure about "recommended", but cfengine is pretty good. You can go a long
    way with CVS + cvsup, too, but I think the best solution is to put configs in
    CVS/subversion, and use cfengine to handle deploying new versions of configs.

    > 2. What about logfiles - We would have all users mail etc on an NFS
    > share - Can you do the same for logfiles?(Or do you get locking issues?)

    logserver, as mentioned before.

    > 3. Imaging of Servers - I have looked at SystemImager
    > http://www.systemimager.org/, and it looks to do exactly what I want
    > (i.e. be able to create a bootable CD from our SOE for deployment of new
    > serverfarm boxes, or quick recovery from failure) - Can anyone provide
    > feedback as to it's effectiveness?

    I love it. I've got a cluster of about 200 machines that I manage using
    systemimager. If you're installing onto newer hardware, you will almost
    certainly have to build a custom si kernel to add newer drivers for ethernet
    cards or RAID cards. It's not particular difficult, just a tad time consuming.

    Notes below are how to add a newer e1000 driver to the systemimager kernel; it
    may help.

    mkdir ~/src/systemimager
    cd ~/src/systemimager
    apt-get source systemimager # ~ 45MB
    cd systemimager-3.0.1
    tar -xjf systemimager-3.0.1.tar.bz2
    cd systemimager-3.0.1
    make patched_kernel-stamp

    There is now a systemimager kernel source tree in src/linux-2.4.20

    Download the e1000 source from Intel:
    http://support.intel.com/support/network/sb/cs-006120-prd38.htm

    mkdir ~/src/e1000
    cd ~/src/e1000
    tar -xzf e1000.tar.gz
    cd e1000/src
    Edit Makefile:
        Set KSP = ~/src/systemimager/systemimager-3.0.1/systemimager-3.0.1/src/linux-2.4.20
    make
    cp e1000.o ~/src/systemimager/systemimager-3.0.1/systemimager-3.0.1/initrd_source/my_modules
    cd ~/src/systemimager/systemimager-3.0.1/systemimager-3.0.1/initrd_source/my_modules
    Edit INSMOD_COMMAND
        Add nsmod ./e1000.o'
    cd ~/src/systemimager/systemimager-3.0.1
    Edit FLAVOR
        Change it to something else (like e1000) for testing.
    make binaries
        Go get lunch... this takes a _long_ time.
    sudo make install_binaries
        This puts the binaries into /usr/share/systemimager/boot/i386/e1000

    Now copy kernel, config, and initrd.img from e1000 to the master "standard"
    image, and to the master /tftpboot.

    • Re: Unable to save GPO edits in Windows 2003 Small Bussiness Serve
      ... I am able to create GPO's on my test server and edit them as ... to delete the GPO at the very least. ... Group Policy Management "The server is unwilling to process the request" ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: Unable to save GPO edits in Windows 2003 Small Bussiness Serve
      ... The test server is the same OS as the server I am having issues with. ... I should be able to delete the GPO at the very least. ... I have tried to edit the new policy to push out workstation settings with no avail. ... Administrative Templates "The Group Policy snapin was unable to save your changes due to the following error: Logon failure: unknown username or bad password." ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: Integrated security
      ... and on the web server this user has access to as per the definied in the ... authentication control configure the new username and password over there. ... A YET another way is to edit the machine.config file and put the pasword in ... >> properties instruct it to use that particular application pool. ...
    • Re: Drawing In PowerPoint No longer Allow Me To Edit Them
      ... At first they allowed me to double click and edit them. ... I get this error message: "The server application, source file, or item ...
      (microsoft.public.powerpoint)
    • Re: cant run asp file from subdir of Web root dir
      ... So I try to edit the page in this directory but then I get ... the error message - "Access Denied - not authorized, ... file here and fix the problem and display it. ... original home directory (I have been tweaking this server ...
      (microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general)