Re: ddclient startup script problems

From: Thomas Adam (thomas_adam16_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 04/28/04

    Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 18:02:46 +0100 (BST)
    To: Dave <dave_dyck@yahoo.ca>, debian-user@lists.debian.org

     --- Dave <dave_dyck@yahoo.ca> wrote:

    > Yes I'm running it as root. When I type "/etc/init.d/ddclient start" at
    > the
    > prompt when logged in as root, nothing happens. "ps aux" does not show
    > ddclient as running. On the other hand, if I only type "ddclient start"
    > at
    > the prompt, it starts up.

    That makes no sense, unless the ddclient program accepts 'start' as valid
    parameter. I would be inclined to trace the execution of the
    /etc/init.d/ddclient script. Add:

    set -xv

    below the hash-bang line (the line that starts: #!/bin/sh)

    Then run the script, and paste the output back to the list.

    -- Thomas Adam

    =====
    "TAG Editor" -- http://linuxgazette.net

    experience will probably kill you. :)"