cups printing problems: mozilla, gimp

From: dee (deetee_at_diversity-radio.net)
Date: 05/04/04

    Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 15:14:44 -0700 (MST)
    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

    i have a newly installed 2.4.20 kernel, running testing, and have a few
    new problems, as well a solution to some of my older ones!

    i have installed cups and have a usb printer.
    the printer (epson stylus 740, usb) is being seen by the computer (i can
    lpr a text file, on settings set on http://localhost:631/admin)

    however, i have two problems: i cannot print from either gimp or mozilla
    (1.5)

    mozilla v.1.5: there is apparently no recognition in the system that i
    have requested something to be printed. This doesn't seem to be (only?) a
    cups issue as I cannot print to a .ps file either.

    gimp v.1.2: ascii characters, not the image are printed from a png file i
    used as an example.

    I tried a re-installation of gimp-print from source, (by hand, not
    debian, having some vague recollection that i did this last time in my
    old kernel and it solved the problem) using
    ./configure--with-cups
    and was told:
    checking for cups-config... no
    checking for socket in -lsocket... no
    checking for gethostbyaddr in -lnsl... yes
    checking for openssl/ssl.h... yes
    checking for SSL_new in -lssl... yes
    checking for cupsPrintFiles in -lcups... no
    configure: error: Cannot find CUPS libraries (libcups)
    So i was unable to solve the problem like that...

    Grateful for pointers, will happily provide diagnostics,
    tia
    dee

    • Re: cups printing problems: mozilla, gimp
      ... > i have a newly installed 2.4.20 kernel, running testing, and have a ... > i have installed cups and have a usb printer. ... > mozilla ... > my old kernel and it solved the problem) using ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: JPEG/JFIF that will cause mozilla hang, kernel lock and sometimes reboot (FC2)
      ... HTML rendering engine used in Mozilla, Firefox, Epiphany and probably ... both firefox and the kernel. ... send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: FBSD 5.3-BETA4 SMP crashes
      ... This kernel with the most recent ... >cvsupdate (did the last cvsupdate relevant to compiling in the morning ... My crashes were tied exclusively to mozilla, ... ridiculously high load remained stable. ...
      (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
    • JPEG/JFIF that will cause mozilla hang, kernel lock and sometimes reboot (FC2)
      ... HTML rendering engine used in Mozilla, Firefox, Epiphany and probably ... both firefox and the kernel. ... Tested with the original FC2 kernel and a with vanilla 2.6.7. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: No sound
      ... and my medias works well until I need to hear some radio station by Mozilla ... Mozilla asked me to choose between various plug ins. ... Which kernel are you using? ... mine is intel duo-core on a new Dell laptop. ...
      (Ubuntu)