Re: rpm and Debian

From: dircha (dircha_at_dircha.com)
Date: 05/13/04

    Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 00:58:58 -0500
    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

    Rick wrote:
    > Can I use rpm command to access deb DB?

    rpm is available in the Debian package of the same name (rpm). However,
    any packages you install with the rpm command will not be managed by the
    Debian package management system. .deb is the native package format of a
    Debian system.

    You can attempt to convert .rpm packages to .deb packages using the
    tools available in the alien package. However, conversion will not
    always be successful and may not produce the results you expect.

    It is best to install software on your Debian system from .deb packages.

    If you can not locate a .deb package for the software you wish to
    install in the official Debian repositories [1], you can also try
    apt-get.org [2] for third-party apt repositories of all types or
    backports.org [3] for third-party apt repositories for the stable
    distribution only.

    If you need assistance configuring your system to install software, feel
    free to consult the Debian manual [4], search the list archives [5], or
    ask here on the list.

    [1] http://packages.debian.org
    [2] http://apt-get.org
    [3] http://www.backports.org
    [4] http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/
    [5] http://lists.debian.org

    dircha

    • Re: Windows/Linux dual booting
      ... Or you come across an RPM with a file-based dependency (WTF? ... the package, for chrissake!), or you come across an RPM that gratuitously ... Debian and every fork of Debian that doesn't run straight from the CD can ... Compiling for my specific hardware makes it ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • The utility of alien (Re: Aptitude wants to remove OpenOffice.org)
      ... available does not mean that the deb produced is good. ... So much of the result depends upon the quality of the original rpm ... This is in direct violation of Debian Policy. ... For example if the rpm package contains a daemon it will usually ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: Switch MDK -> Debian, probably
      ... > the better package management system. ... What about Debian? ... (MDK main OS installer is not really good in doing ... So I see RPM only sucks 98% as much as last time I used it... ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: Which Distro?
      ... [snip list of Slack package tools] ... that's also true of rpm in it's basic guise - and the way we got ... server, and after auditing, transfer it to a local file server in an ... >There was a reason I started deploying the Debian servers. ...
      (comp.os.linux)
    • Re: the best Linux for me
      ... Christopher> What's Debian's package / distro system called? ... The package system (the one that is equivalent to rpm) is DPKG (Debian ...
      (comp.lang.lisp)