which dhcp client should be used?

From: Kamaraju Kusumanchi (kk288_at_cornell.edu)
Date: 06/27/04

    Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 13:59:55 -0400
    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org;

    I am interested in setting up my machine as a dhcp client. Doing
    apt-cache search for dhcp clients on unstable debian, I get

    dhcp-client - DHCP Client
    dhcp3-client - DHCP Client
    dhcpcd - DHCP client for automatically configuring IPv4 networking

    I would like to know which is the preferred one? What are the
    differences between these? Any documentation on these would be nice.

    Apparently dhcp-client and dhcp3-client are not compatible with each
    other. Because when installing dhcp3-client, apt-get wants to remove
    dhcp-client.

    regards
    raju

    --
    Home page: http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/kk288/index.html

    • Re: which dhcp client should be used?
      ... > I am interested in setting up my machine as a dhcp client. ... Plus pump. ... My preference of the bunch is dhcp3-client. ... If you look you will see that dhcp-client is version 2 and ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: Disable DHCP?
      ... the dhcp-client that obviously running. ... thanks - but dhcp client is still started up. ... run sys-unconfig and re-enter your static ip, hostname, dns etc. it ...
      (comp.unix.solaris)
    • Re: which dhcp client should be used?
      ... Looks like dhcp-client is relatively easy to ... configure (compared to dhcp3-client). ... > I am interested in setting up my machine as a dhcp client. ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: DHCP-Client not using the cache
      ... Karl Mauer wrote: ... > I'm using SuSE 9.0 and have a question about the dhcp-client. ... DHCP client can make, this is something a DHCP Server decides...) ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • ifupdown configuration
      ... changed to dhcp3-client. ... The problem is that the new dhcp client ... downloaded the source package and changed this the "hard way", ... of the dhcp client should create a script for reading command line ...
      (Debian-User)