problem with invisible/disappearing files - but inodes there

invader_zim_at_cia.com.au
Date: 07/05/04

    Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 14:52:49 +1000
    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

    Hi,

    We have an unusual problem with 'invisible' and disappearing files: some files are not
    visible in a directory using 'find' or 'ls' on the directory, yet they
    are visible using tools such as 'debugfs' or if you know the actual name
    of the file, you can use 'ls' to list it explicitly.

    For instance, in the directory:

    /home/stampy/queues/sendsyphonemailqstore/q_dispatch

    you can ls -la it, and find no files:

    stampy:~# ls -la /home/stampy/queues/sendsyphonemailqstore/q_dispatch
    total 8
    drwxr-sr-x 2 louisb staff 4096 Jun 25 11:45 .
    drwxr-sr-x 7 louisb staff 4096 Jan 4 14:05 ..

    Yet when you 'ls' the files directly (which we find from the log of a
    daemon that places them there), they are there:

    stampy:~# ls -la
    /home/stampy/queues/sendsyphonemailqstore/q_dispatch/1088004896841
    -rw-r--r-- 1 louisb staff 1 Jun 24 01:34
    /home/stampy/queues/sendsyphonemailqstore/q_dispatch/1088004896841
    stampy:~#

    This is occuring on two machines running Debian Woody, 2.4.25 and 2.4.18
    kernels. The filesystems have had fsck run on them, and the systems are
    not able to clean the /tmp directory because of these 'missing' files

    Other info:

    ext2 filesystems
    libc-2.2.5.so
    gcc version 2.95.4 20011002 (Debian prerelease)

    On both machines, the problems are showing up in the /tmp/CGI_Cache
    directory. The filesystems have not run out of inodes

    Any ideas what could cause this? It has happened on a 3rd machine now
    too. One of the machines uses hardware scsi RAID and the other two are
    using IDE (different chipsets, one VIA, the other AMD)

    Thanks for any pointers,

    Campbell

    • Intermittent Internet Connections on Network
      ... This is a VERY unusual problem that has had me confused for the last 5 days ... The basic problem is that random users cant access the internet at ... and Spyware has been run on several machines with the same results. ...
    • Re: Downgrade FreeBSD 5.1 or 5.2 -> 4.9
      ... > is there a way to downgrade from FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE ... filesystems in 5.x they will be UFS2 and you're out of luck. ... a spare slice on these machines you *might* be able to get this done, ...
      (freebsd-current)
    • Run script at boot?
      ... machines at work (the majority of our network runs Linux, ... bootup the HPUX machines don't automatically export their filesystems. ... I've just written a little shell script to call the exportfs comand ...
      (comp.sys.hp.hpux)
    • Re: fragmentation
      ... > We have a few machines on which AIX keeps generating errors saying that we ... > need to defrag some of its filesystems. ... It happened to one of my client's system with large file systems and daily ... I think you have much activity on those filesystems. ...
      (comp.unix.aix)
    • Strange umount /xyz filesystem busy problem
      ... when rebooting the machines: The filesystems which contain user directories ... cannot be umounted since the kernel claims that they are still busy. ... that might access the filesystems but nevertheless I cannot umount them. ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)