Modem init sequence in KPPP

listcomm_at_ml1.net
Date: 07/11/04

    Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 14:28:26 -0700
    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

    I'm on dialup, and my modem won't connect at more than 28 KB.
    The init string in KPPP is not right.

    In the interest of "if it works don't fix it", I want to use the
    same init sequence the Gatesware has come up with (why Linux can't
    finger out the right init string without being told is another
    question...). But the (Gatesware) init sequence consists of *two*
    strings - i.e. the modem driver (I guess? does anyone know what
    does anything in Windoze?) sends one string, waits for an OK,
    then sends another string and waits for an OK. The setup window
    for KPPP only has space for one string, and (thus far) I haven't
    found anything detailing how to make it use a more complex transaction.

    I know I can provide a multi-string sequence by going with "chat"
    and "pppd" or "diald" or whatever it is that uses the "chat"
    script. For various reasons with which I not bore anyone unless
    they insist, I would rather make KPPP work first, unless there is
    no way to do it.

    Is there a way make KPPP utilize a more complex init transaction
    than just sending one string?