Re: Newbie problems galore

From: Ryan Waye (rmw998_at_gmail.com)
Date: 07/15/04

    Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 13:27:00 -0400
    To: superbiskit@cox.net, debian-usere@lists.debian.org

    On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 12:19:03 -0400, David A. Cobb <superbiskit@cox.net> wrote:
    > Hi!
    > I purchased a CD set of "Debian 3.0 "Woody" Official" and started to
    > install it.
    > First woe: my hardware is by nVidia; the Official kernel on the CD
    > is 2.4.18, nVidia provides a driver for 2.4.20/21 and the Debian archive
    > has nVidia patches for 2.4.26. My plan is to go to .26, but in the
    > meanwhile I can't use X Windows and I can't access my NIC, so all that
    > stuff requires rebooting into Windows. So, my first question: given the
    > kernel images on $MIRROR/Debian/main/k/kernel-image-2.4.26-i386, how do
    > I change my kernel?

    There are literally tons of guides on this. Just google it and you
    will get all the info you need

    > I need to pass things back-and-forth between Linux and Windoze. I
    > see references to VFAT FS on the web site, but for the life of me, I
    > can't find a trace of the software. It's really bad to have to play
    > games with tar at both sides of the route in order not to munge up the
    > "magic" pathnames. PLEASE don't tell me that the evil beast of Redmond
    > has buried VFAT under a patent claim!! If not, please, where can I find it?

    I am pretty sure linux can read the default FAT32 and NTFS partitions
    without any trouble, but I may be wrong.

    > Right now, I've managed to hork up my package data so dpkg gets hung
    > up trying to fix things. My best bet seems to be to restart from
    > scratch. How do I get dpkg / apt / aptitude to clean my machine
    > totally, or what files should I remove to make all this stuff go away?
    > Or, would it really be quicker to re-init my partitions and start again
    > from the CD?

    No! Don't start over, anything can be fixed. Try these commands in
    this order:(As superuser)

    apt-get clean
    apt-get check
    apt-get dist-upgrade

    post the results of these commands here.

    <snip>

    Ryan Waye

    • Re: System Information Unavailable on XP Pro
      ... Bill, ... Open a Command Prompt window and enter the following commands, ... > You can see I'm multibooting, where WinXP is on partition ... >>> received the reply, "The Windows Management ...
    • Re: Thanks Everyone
      ... All I was able to do was do simple dos commands, ... Windows hadn't loaded, I was hoping I was in the Command Prompt and that I ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: [opensuse] RPM Question
      ... of the disks, and what files are stored on what disks, could ... put the commands in shell scripts (think of .bat files, ... packages on my windows machine here at work. ... an internet connection to open up and process an RPM file? ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: Thanks Everyone
      ... All I was able to do was do simple dos commands, ... Windows hadn't loaded, I was hoping I was in the Command Prompt and that I ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: Thanks Everyone
      ... To be very polite Malke, I had already googled, searched Microsoft's ... All I was able to do was do simple dos commands, ... Windows hadn't loaded, I was hoping I was in the Command Prompt and that I ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)