Re: Newbie problems galore

From: Ryan Waye (rmw998_at_gmail.com)
Date: 07/15/04

    Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 13:27:00 -0400
    To: superbiskit@cox.net, debian-usere@lists.debian.org

    On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 12:19:03 -0400, David A. Cobb <superbiskit@cox.net> wrote:
    > Hi!
    > I purchased a CD set of "Debian 3.0 "Woody" Official" and started to
    > install it.
    > First woe: my hardware is by nVidia; the Official kernel on the CD
    > is 2.4.18, nVidia provides a driver for 2.4.20/21 and the Debian archive
    > has nVidia patches for 2.4.26. My plan is to go to .26, but in the
    > meanwhile I can't use X Windows and I can't access my NIC, so all that
    > stuff requires rebooting into Windows. So, my first question: given the
    > kernel images on $MIRROR/Debian/main/k/kernel-image-2.4.26-i386, how do
    > I change my kernel?

    There are literally tons of guides on this. Just google it and you
    will get all the info you need

    > I need to pass things back-and-forth between Linux and Windoze. I
    > see references to VFAT FS on the web site, but for the life of me, I
    > can't find a trace of the software. It's really bad to have to play
    > games with tar at both sides of the route in order not to munge up the
    > "magic" pathnames. PLEASE don't tell me that the evil beast of Redmond
    > has buried VFAT under a patent claim!! If not, please, where can I find it?

    I am pretty sure linux can read the default FAT32 and NTFS partitions
    without any trouble, but I may be wrong.

    > Right now, I've managed to hork up my package data so dpkg gets hung
    > up trying to fix things. My best bet seems to be to restart from
    > scratch. How do I get dpkg / apt / aptitude to clean my machine
    > totally, or what files should I remove to make all this stuff go away?
    > Or, would it really be quicker to re-init my partitions and start again
    > from the CD?

    No! Don't start over, anything can be fixed. Try these commands in
    this order:(As superuser)

    apt-get clean
    apt-get check
    apt-get dist-upgrade

    post the results of these commands here.

    <snip>

    Ryan Waye