udev isn't creating links for my cdrom and dvd-rom devices

From: Kyle Girard (theycallmecoach_at_rogers.com)
Date: 07/25/04

    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
    Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 14:47:56 -0400

    I wanted to experiment with udev, hal, dbus and gnome-volume-manager so
    I installed all of the above and rebooted everything seemed cool except
    I no longer have a /dev/cdrom link. It appears udev didn't find my
    cdrom and dvdrom drives and it didn't create any links for them.

    Anyone else had this problem?

    I'm running the latest everything from unstable, 2.6-k7 kernel etc etc

    --
    Kyle Girard <theycallmecoach@rogers.com>

    • Re: description of udev, sysfs, hotplug, hal, etc.
      ... hotplug: called by the kernel, loads the proper driver is can run scipts ... udev: called by the kernel, dynamic filesystem in userspace that relies on ... dbus: makes sending and receiving of events possible (e.g. a bluetooth pin ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: USB Query
      ... I know of a couple of systems using a Linux-kernel which have no dbus ... Some of them use udev, but only because that was the default ... of Linux using Gnome or KDE.... ... because designing universal IPC-systems incompatible to the ...
      (comp.os.linux.development.system)
    • Re: USB disk and KDE
      ... >> My brother uses KDE on his Sid machine. ... >> and dbus to automatically mount detected disks based ... > on udev rules. ... messaging system (GLib-b ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: USB Query
      ... Some of them use udev, but only because that was the default ... There is no such thing as 'a system dbus'. ... particular installation ... ... setup at init time to handle system wide events. ...
      (comp.os.linux.development.system)
    • Re: dbus - Was: A thread that shouldnt be mentioned anymore
      ... Too funny, under the jokes is one, asking to merge it with dbus. ... Next step is of course to integrate D-Bus in systemd, ... I don't know if systemd and udev still can be easily separated. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
      (Debian-User)