Re: Apt-get upgrade for security announcement

From: Chris Metzler (cmetzler_at_speakeasy.net)
Date: 07/28/04

    Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 19:49:56 -0400
    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

    On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 14:52:54 -0400
    Greg Folkert <greg@gregfolkert.net> wrote:
    >On Tue, 2004-07-27 at 13:49, Eric Walstad wrote:
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> I'm having trouble trying to apt-get update/upgrade my debian unstable
    >> machine with the latest security fixes as advertised in the
    >> debian-security-announce emails. When I do:
    >>
    >> apt-get update
    >> apt-get upgrade
    >> dpkg -l | grep <package name>
    >>
    >> I find that the installed version of the package doesn't match what
    >> advisory says is available.

    [ snip security update instructions]

    >> My question:
    >> 1. The emails imply that there are unstable packages avaialble. If
    >> so, how do I apt-get update/upgrade them?
    >
    > First of, your /etc/apt/sources.list has to include security.debian.org
    > as a source.
    >
    > Line would look like:
    >
    > deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free
    >
    > After you add that to your /etc/apt/sources.list, do what the
    > instructions say.
    >
    > You may be surprised to find out how far behind you are.

    Huh? The poster said he was tracking *unstable*. What you've said
    is for installing security updates to stable, *not* for installing
    the latest version of the relevant packages in unstable.

    To the original poster: I don't know how often you're running into
    this, what sort of timeframe you're doing the upgrades on after
    receiving the messages, etc. But it's possible that the packages
    in question simply haven't reached your mirror yet. Wait 24 hours
    and try again. If that isn't it, dunno.

    If the announcement's been out a day or two, and you've gone to
    packages.debian.org and looked at what it says is the current
    version in unstable, and it's of lower version number than the
    version mentioned in the security update, then something weird's
    going on at the Debian level. But if it's there, but you're
    not seeing it when you try to apt-get upgrade, then it's probably
    something weird about your sources.list or the mirrors mentioned
    in it.

    -c

    P.S. to Greg -- did you know your client is setting a "Reply-To:"
    directly to your address when you post on the list?

    		(remove "snip-me." to email)

    • Re: packagegit authentication
      ... before installing all packages, even signed ones. ... I just ran packagegit to install all current updates, and realized that it didn't prompt me for the root password. ... I can't find the "Security" tool in the administration menu which in previous versions of Fedora could be used to configure which actions require authentication. ... I think installing updates and installing previously uninstalled ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: KB978207 wont install, yep I searched
      ... There is no-charge for support calls that are associated with security updates. ... When you call, clearly state that your problem is related to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number. ... I've been having lots of trouble installing updates lately, ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
    • Re: Why isnt KB925902 a re-release of MS07-008?
      ... re-release of MS07-008. ... This problem may occur after you install security update 925902 and security update 928843. ... installing the XP SP2 patch referred to by MS07-017), ...
    • Re: packagegit authentication
      ... before installing all packages, even signed ones. ... I can't find the "Security" tool in the administration menu which in ... I think installing updates and installing previously uninstalled ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: SQL server 2005 service pack (KB970892)
      ... There is no charge for support related to installing a Security Update. ... "When you call please let them know that this has to do with Security Bulletin MS09-062. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)