Re: Couple Questions Before I install for first time.

From: s. keeling (keeling_at_spots.ab.ca)
Date: 07/29/04

    Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 19:51:52 -0600
    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

    Incoming from Jason G Skala:
    > This weekend I am getting ready to switch my server over to Debian Woody
    > from Red Hat 9.0. And have a few questions before I go and do this about SMP
    > Kernels.
    >
    > I have a Intell LX440GX+ Motherboard with Dual PIII 500's running software
    > raid currently, I have found some great articles on getting the Software
    > Raid portion to work with debian so I think I am ok on that. My real concern
    > is getting the SMP Kernel working with it, and I have yet to really find any
    > good examples or docs on this. I am not new to linux but new to debian, I am

    Worst case, the system comes up with a non-SMP kernel. The simplest
    solution is:

      - sanity check /etc/apt/sources.list; do you want stable, testing,
        or unstable? Server generally == stable, plus backports if
        necessary. Sarge will be promoted to stable not too long from
        now (geologically speaking), so you might consider jumping ahead.
        Careful here!

      - apt-get update ; apt-cache search kernel-image # pick one!

      - apt-get install kernel-image...

    It's damn near foolproof. On reboot, SMP should be working. Now your
    problem is interpreting ps output on SMP kernels. :-)

    > used to Red Hat were I have a GUI install and select SMP kernel and that is
    > it. Now is there an easy way to get a SMP kernel for debian or should I just
    > plan on creating my own from source?

    Unless your requirements are very strange, or you're extraordinarily
    picky, a re-compile should be unnecessary. The stock Linux
    kernel-images work very well out of the box, Debian's especially.
    Nowadays, I'd only consider recompiling in extraordinary
    circumstances, but ymmv.

    > The motherboard has a built in Adaptec aic7896/97 Ultra2 SCSI adapter, is
    > this supported by default without any trouble?

    Driver support is always dependent on how new the hardware is. Google
    for details, see lists.debian.org, etc. See the changes document that
    comes with all kernels/kernel source. That should tell you what it
    does and doesn't do. All said and done, Linux has damn short wait
    times for drivers for mainstream and/or useful components. You may
    have to wait a bit for solidity, but if you know Linux, this sort of
    thing is no surprise to you.

    > Also I have an intel Nic card 82559 that uses the e100 module/driver and

    Google again.

    > have read that this can be troublesome to get to working any info that some
    > one can provide to me on that as well.

    About the kludgy-est problem I've ever had to deal with was sticking
    DAC960 RAID controller support into some boot.local script so it would
    be there before everything else that needed it. The need for that kludge
    disappeared within months, and the kludge worked fine until the need
    disappeared.

    Anytime you have a problem finding a module, run modconf and turn it
    on. It should then be instantly available.

    - -

    • Re: /dev/random5
      ... whether any of us are having issues with blocking, but with the randomness ... I would like to have the time to look at the code in the debian repos ... Linux /dev/random code. ... on the linux kernel list. ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: Review of FreeBSD 5.4
      ... but not less problems compared to FreeBSD. ... If you like to have a bleeding edge system using debian --- just go ... > the linux kernel suffers. ... When the kernel suffers, everyone who uses ...
      (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
    • [Full-disclosure] [SECURITY] [DSA 2240-1] linux-2.6 security update
      ... Several vulnerabilities have been discovered in the Linux kernel that may lead ... Local users may obtain access to ... On default Debian installations, ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • [SECURITY] [DSA 2240-1] linux-2.6 security update
      ... Several vulnerabilities have been discovered in the Linux kernel that may lead ... Local users may obtain access to ... On default Debian installations, ...
      (Bugtraq)
    • Re: detecting RH version in GNUMakefile
      ... > With nearly all current versions of Linux, you simply cat a file in ... I am using debian on my home PC and found the above file. ... > Seeing as how FOR EXAMPLE Red Hat 9 had no less than NINE kernel updates ... but I suspect that Sun's installer must have ...
      (comp.unix.solaris)