Re: Any chance of Debian adding YaST

From: Paul Johnson (baloo_at_ursine.ca)
Date: 07/29/04

    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
    Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 11:11:04 -0700

    Scott Thompson <sthompson@lldlaw.com> writes:

    > Look,I'm not saying the YaST is great or perfect. But, I've tried 8 or 10
    > different distros, and the one thing that many do better that Debian is
    > manage and configure hardware from a central location. Whether it's
    > Mandrake's HardDrake or Redhat/Fedora's Kudzu or Ark Linux's Mission
    > Control, etc., sometimes it's nice to have a central, handy hardware config
    > system.

    What's wrong with discover? Nobody has answered that. What is wrong
    with discover? Why does everybody ignore discover?

    • Re: rediscovering hardware
      ... Tony Godshall wrote: ... >>hardware should detect automagically. ... > The automagical bit is discover... ... But I'm thinking that there is a better way since Debian could or should ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: rediscovering hardware
      ... > I have hardware devices that do not exist in the modules file. ... > detect this hardware as a part of the installation under ... the stuff discover can handle) You shouldn't need to do ... alsa conf if discover identifies and loads the right modules ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: Why I chose High Level Assembly (HLA)
      ... > They will be fast on supported hardware and much slower on unknown ... ordinary dos partition again. ... some friend comming over to bug me tomorrow. ... Not to discover some new great truth about ...
      (alt.lang.asm)
    • Re: RTL8139 Cardbus Card fails to activate
      ... Hardware discovery and Cardbus? ... > are the state of ACPI and whether or not the rl driver sets my card up to ... > Together with the facts that they have separate on/off toggles, ... interface to discover the hardware in a system and power management. ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: Vista, XP Pro or XP x64 Pro... that is the question!
      ... Where have I claimed to have expert knowledge in hacking? ... NMAP to discover what type of OS is on the machine. ... deal of information can be obtained from the website. ... employees have gone to tech sites and listed the model of their hardware ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)