SSH: only listens on loopback

From: rich (rl2_at_shinyblue.net)
Date: 08/04/04

    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
    Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 14:06:23 +0100

    I have a server on 192.168.254.200 and a webserver on .19

    I run # ssh -f -N -L 8080:192.168.254.19:80 user@localhost

    which sets it up so that
    # lynx localhost:8080
    brings me the page from the webserver at .19

    BUT, the 8080 port is only open to the local host, and I want it open for all.

    # lynx 192.168.254.200:8080
    doesn't work.

    nmap localhost shows the port is open, but nmap 192.168.254.200 shows it's
    closed.

    I've set
    ListenAddress: 0.0.0.0
    in sshd_config but that didn't seem to do anything.

    I've trawled the 'net but found very little help.

    thanks

    rich.

    • Re: Newbie questions
      ... >> 1) Can I install a piece of firewall software which will only permit ... >> running Linux) to route requests to port 80 to MS-Windows Server? ... cash you have at your disposal, and what other network services your ... have to run a webserver for business read a book and get advice/help from ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: Clarification
      ... >I am writing a webserver for a class project and I need to write one ... >port in rapid succession. ... >communicating with the client is not necc. ... >If firewalls are typically set up to allow outgoing HTTP requests ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: Masqed client cannot access masqed server
      ... >> sharing app and the aforementionned webserver. ... but port 80 connections time out. ... The internal client looks at the destination address and its own address ... then the router no longer drops the packets (check the syslog ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)
    • Re: lokalen Webserver ins Internet bringen
      ... Mein lokaler Webserver soll Anfragen aus dem Internet ... Das Ganze hängt über einen Router am DSL-Modem. ... Die Firewall des Webservers hat ein Loch ... auf Port 80. ...
      (de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc)
    • Re: Pervasive error in IIS 6.0
      ... When I change the port number, ... Could this be a firewall issue on the webserver? ... the database server, and it can't seem to find it, or communications ... ODBC Client Interface]No ...
      (comp.databases.btrieve)