[OT] DNS switching & which

From: Nori Heikkinen (nori_at_sccs.swarthmore.edu)
Date: 08/16/04

    Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 15:57:03 -0400
    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

    [sorry if this is duplicate; i can't see that it went through the
    first time]

    i have a domain that i host off my own computer but for which i use a
    friend's nameservers. right now, those nameservers are down with an
    unspecified ETA of getting back up, and i'm thinking this would be a
    good excuse to figure out what's involved in doing my own nameserving.

    i have two questions:

    1. if i can't contact my friend, but i own the domain, i should be
       able to switch the nameservers i use without him having anything to
       do with it, right? just checking to make sure i understand this.

    2. any advice on which dns server package i should use, if i'm to do
       it myself? i seem to recall hearing the praises of DJBDNS sung,
       and i don't want to start a religious war, but i'm curious if there
       is a recommended beginner's straightforward DNS package out there
       that i should definitely use over all others.

    thanks,

    </nori>

    --
        .~.      nori @ sccs.swarthmore.edu
        /V\  http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/~nori

    ++     Sponsor me as I run my SECOND marathon for AIDS:       ++
    ++ http://www.aidsmarathon.com/participant.asp?runner=DC-2844 ++

    • Re: error in dnsreport
      ... yes, they do host the DNS, the ISP host the Reverse DNS and someone else ... Missing nameservers FAIL: You have one or more missing ... servers return them in the authority section for other requests, ...
      (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)
    • Re: snort and port 53 <-> 53 false positives
      ... I receive all these false positives. ... are nameservers or somthing harmless: ... $ host 212.121.128.2 ... >> but this way somebody can flood my port 53 with packets from port 53, ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: after type the password need to wait a long time when telnet solaris
      ... I want to have two nameservers at each site. ... #1, I have servers A and B, and at site #2, I have servers C and D. ... at a host which does exist and which isn't ... the extra complexity will increase the likelihood of error. ...
      (comp.unix.solaris)
    • Help with DNS / Nameserver setup for web server
      ... The idea being to host all of my websites and have my own nameservers for ... easier setup of client websites. ... also setup www.musoswire.net with a page in IIS, ... Just add it in IIS and add the correct host headers?! ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)