[OT] DNS switching & which

From: Nori Heikkinen (nori_at_sccs.swarthmore.edu)
Date: 08/16/04

    Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 15:57:03 -0400
    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

    [sorry if this is duplicate; i can't see that it went through the
    first time]

    i have a domain that i host off my own computer but for which i use a
    friend's nameservers. right now, those nameservers are down with an
    unspecified ETA of getting back up, and i'm thinking this would be a
    good excuse to figure out what's involved in doing my own nameserving.

    i have two questions:

    1. if i can't contact my friend, but i own the domain, i should be
       able to switch the nameservers i use without him having anything to
       do with it, right? just checking to make sure i understand this.

    2. any advice on which dns server package i should use, if i'm to do
       it myself? i seem to recall hearing the praises of DJBDNS sung,
       and i don't want to start a religious war, but i'm curious if there
       is a recommended beginner's straightforward DNS package out there
       that i should definitely use over all others.

    thanks,

    </nori>

    --
        .~.      nori @ sccs.swarthmore.edu
        /V\  http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/~nori

    ++     Sponsor me as I run my SECOND marathon for AIDS:       ++
    ++ http://www.aidsmarathon.com/participant.asp?runner=DC-2844 ++