Re: Please help. New install can't compile

From: Greg Folkert (greg_at_gregfolkert.net)
Date: 08/20/04

    To: Michael Satterwhite <michael@weblore.com>
    Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 10:26:26 -0400

    On Fri, 2004-08-20 at 09:05, Michael Satterwhite wrote:

    > I've just installed Debian Sarge on a laptop. I have installed development
    > tools including gcc and g++. When I try to compile a program using gcc, I get
    > the error message that it can't execute cc1plus because there is no such
    > program. I thought that apt was supposed to handle dependency problems, but
    > this one is being missed. Regardless, I have to get a compilation environment
    > up and running. I did a web search and found one message that said to install
    > g++ (originally I had gcc as that is what I've used), so I did. No avail.
    >
    > There have to be others who have seen this. Can anyone tell me how to get the
    > compiler working?

    OK. Since this is the 5th time you have asked. And since you ignored the
    2 replies you got from others... I am sending directly to you... which I
    typically don't do.

    here is a listing from "apt-cache search gcc | sort" with some
    non-related things removed.

    apt-cache search gcc | sort
    altgcc - Alternate gcc package for the libc5 environment.
    chill-2.95 - The GNU CHILL compiler
    colorgcc - Colorizer for GCC warning/error messages
    cpp - The GNU C preprocessor (cpp)
    cpp-2.95 - The GNU C preprocessor
    cpp-2.95-doc - Documentation for the GNU C preprocessor (cpp)
    cpp-3.2 - The GNU C preprocessor
    cpp-3.3 - The GNU C preprocessor
    cpp-3.4 - The GNU C preprocessor
    cpp-3.5 - The GNU C preprocessor
    g++-2.95 - The GNU C++ compiler
    g++-3.4 - The GNU C++ compiler
    g77 - The GNU Fortran 77 compiler
    g77-2.95 - The GNU Fortran 77 compiler
    g77-2.95-doc - Documentation for the GNU Fortran compiler (g77)
    g77-3.2 - The GNU Fortran 77 compiler
    g77-3.3 - The GNU Fortran 77 compiler
    g77-3.4 - The GNU Fortran 77 compiler
    gcc - The GNU C compiler
    gcc-2.95 - The GNU C compiler
    gcc-2.95-doc - Documentation for the GNU compilers (gcc, gobjc, g++)
    gcc-3.2 - The GNU C compiler
    gcc-3.2-base - The GNU Compiler Collection (base package)
    gcc-3.2-doc - Documentation for the GNU compilers (gcc, gobjc, g++)
    gcc-3.3 - The GNU C compiler
    gcc-3.3-base - The GNU Compiler Collection (base package)
    gcc-3.3-doc - Documentation for the GNU compilers (gcc, gobjc, g++)
    gcc-3.4 - The GNU C compiler
    gcc-3.4-base - The GNU Compiler Collection (base package)
    gcc-3.4-doc - Documentation for the GNU compilers (gcc, gobjc, g++)
    gcc-3.5 - The GNU C compiler
    gcc-3.5-base - The GNU Compiler Collection (base package)
    gcc-3.5-doc - Documentation for the GNU compilers (gcc, gobjc, g++)
    gcc-avr - The GNU C compiler (cross compiler for avr)
    gcc-doc - Documentation for the GNU C compilers (gcc, gobjc, g++)
    gcc-h8300-hms - The GNU C/C++ cross-compilers for the Hitachi H8/300[HS] processors
    gcc-m68hc1x - The GNU C/C++ compiler for the Motorola 68HC11/12 processors
    gcc-snapshot - A SNAPSHOT of the GNU Compiler Collection
    gcc272 - The GNU C compiler.
    gcc272-docs - Documentation for the gcc compiler (gcc272).
    gccchecker - Memory access debugger for C language development
    gcj - The GNU Java compiler
    gcj-3.3 - The GNU compiler for Java(TM)
    gcj-3.4 - The GNU compiler for Java(TM)
    gcj-3.5 - The GNU compiler for Java(TM)
    gfortran-3.5 - The GNU Fortran 95 compiler
    ghdl - VHDL compiler/simulator using GCC technology
    gobjc - The GNU Objective-C compiler
    gobjc-2.95 - The GNU Objective-C compiler
    gobjc-3.2 - The GNU Objective-C compiler
    gobjc-3.3 - The GNU Objective-C compiler
    gobjc-3.4 - The GNU Objective-C compiler
    gobjc-3.5 - The GNU Objective-C compiler
    gpc - The GNU Pascal compiler
    gpc-2.1-3.3 - The GNU Pascal compiler
    gpc-2.1-3.3-doc - Documentation for the GNU Pascal compiler (gpc)
    gpc-2.1-3.4 - The GNU Pascal compiler
    gpc-2.1-3.4-doc - Documentation for the GNU Pascal compiler (gpc)
    gpc-2.95 - The GNU Pascal compiler
    gpc-2.95-doc - Documentation for the GNU Pascal compiler (gpc)
    lib64gcc1 - GCC support library (64bit)
    libc5 - The Linux C library version 5 (run-time libraries).
    libg++2.8.1.3-dbg - The GNU C++ extension library - debugging files
    libg++2.8.1.3-dev - The GNU C++ extension library - development files
    libg++2.8.1.3-glibc2.2 - The GNU C++ extension library - runtime version
    libgcc1 - GCC support library
    libgcj4 - Java runtime library for use with gcj
    libgcj4-common - Java runtime library for use with gcj (jar files)
    libgcj4-dev - Java development headers and static library for use with gcj
    libgcj5 - Java runtime library for use with gcj
    libgcj5-common - Java runtime library for use with gcj (jar files)
    libgcj5-dev - Java development headers and static library for use with gcj
    libgcj6 - Java runtime library for use with gcj
    libgcj6-common - Java runtime library for use with gcj (jar files)
    libgcj6-dev - Java development headers and static library for use with gcj
    libmudflap0 - GCC mudflap shared support libraries
    libmudflap0-dev - GCC mudflap support libraries (development files)
    libstdc++2.10-dbg - The GNU stdc++ library (debugging files)
    libstdc++2.10-dev - The GNU stdc++ library (development files)
    libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 - The GNU stdc++ library
    toolchain-source - The GNU binutils and gcc source code
    treelang-3.3 - The GNU Treelang compiler
    treelang-3.4 - The GNU Treelang compiler

    You really need to understand, that Debian Packages everything that can
    be separate as separate. IOW, no HUGE Monstrosities.

    Also, if you look you will find that GCC v3.4 is already available in
    the Debian Archive. AND GCC v3.5 too.

    Start exploring dude... best way to figure debian out is to try things.
    there are quite a few options a few keystrokes away.

    --
    greg, greg@gregfolkert.net
    The technology that is

    • cannot get gnome-keyring to build
      ... checking for gcc... ... checking for C compiler default output file name... ... checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... ... checking whether the gcc linker supports shared libraries... ...
      (GNOME)
    • Re: Is there a Fortran equivalent of Cs #ifdef ??
      ... Fortran compiler, ignore any meaning of the literal spelling of the ... would show GNU or GCC if it was a GNU compiler, ... 'gcc --version' will output 'gcc' but not GCC or GNU. ... GNU Fortran comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. ...
      (comp.lang.fortran)
    • Re: GNAT and GNU build system
      ... :>: Building some non-autoconfized projects with custom compiler flags ... :> If an Ada library isn't very system-specific, ... Some Ada libraries ... in addition to GNU. ...
      (comp.lang.ada)
    • Re: Headless Azureus with any X11 Dependencies ??
      ... installing azureus. ... checking for C compiler default output file name... ... checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... ... checking whether the cc linker supports shared libraries... ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • ANNOUNCE: DJGPP port of GCC-4.4.1
      ... GCC used to stand for the GNU C Compiler, ... DJGPP port of binutils-2.16 or newer is required. ...
      (comp.os.msdos.djgpp)