anti-freeze

From: Jim McCloskey (mcclosk_at_ucsc.edu)
Date: 08/22/04

    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
    Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 01:42:21 -0700

    One of the machines I use regularly has a nasty habit of suddenly
    locking completely (it happens maybe a couple of times a month). It's
    always when X is running, and, I am nearly sure, always when a browser
    is being used. This is a Debian testing system, running kernel 2.4.23.
    Mozilla-Firefox is the browser that is mostly used.

    It's not just that X freezes; the whole system becomes autistic. In
    this state, it can't be reached from the network (no ssh, no ping, no
    nothing). The only way out, as far as I know, is with the
    power-button. Ctl-Alt-Del produces no response. Nor does Alt-SysRq,
    which means, I suppose, that the kernel is dead.

    These events leave no trace whatever in the logs and so it's
    frustratingly hard to do any useful trouble-shooting. I thought that
    they might be caused by a corrupt memory-module, and so I ran memtest
    for the best part of a day. However it found no errors.

    I know that this much doesn't provide a lot of information to go on,
    and I apologize for that. But does anyone know of ways to work on a
    problem such as this?

    I'd be really grateful for any tips or pointers.

    Jim

    • Re: anti-freeze
      ... This is a Debian testing system, running kernel 2.4.23. ... >Mozilla-Firefox is the browser that is mostly used. ... minicom display. ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: anti-freeze
      ... > One of the machines I use regularly has a nasty habit of suddenly ... > locking completely. ... This is a Debian testing system, running kernel 2.4.23. ... > Mozilla-Firefox is the browser that is mostly used. ...
      (Debian-User)