Using LILO on non-linux disk

From: David Baron (d_baron_at_012.net.il)
Date: 09/01/04

    To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
    Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 11:42:42 +0200

    Right now, my "c" disk is a Win98 disk and my "d" disk has linux and windows
    audio data partitions. I use bootmagic. If I choose linux, I get the LILO
    screen which can boot my linux or do the windows, etc.

    Can I use LILO directly, bypassing the bootmagic entirely--that is reference
    lilo.conf to the "c" disk "/dev/hdba" and when I boot, go directly to LILO
    and choose linux or windows?

    • RE: [SLE] Need help recovering my Linux System
      ... >>would I want Windows on my other machine? ... I have the full backup of my old system on a usb disk ... I have never worked with setting up a usb connection on Linux. ... Windows partition ahead of both of my swap and my data partition. ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: Well, Windows is back on the disk.
      ... So your saying that Microsoft makes billions monthly because people DESIRE ... I am too fracking lazy to teach myself the intricacies of Linux. ... All of the WINDOWS operating systems and office products are upgradeable to the latest security fixes and bug fixes. ... OS problems overwrites all personal files on the disk. ...
      (Ubuntu)
    • Re: Win98SE and fdsik.exe, will this properly reformat an hdd that has had Linux installed?
      ... Does this seem reasonable to restore Windows after a complete Linux ... An XP install disk contains all you need to install the OS. ... you must manually delete the partitions used by the Linux ...
    • Re: Win98SE and fdsik.exe, will this properly reformat an hdd that has had Linux installed?
      ... I, unfortunately, don't have a floppy disk drive in my current box. ... Does this seem reasonable to restore Windows after a complete Linux install? ... Yes, one would think so but apparently Linux uses partitions a bit differently, or something, so that when Windows comes along afterwards, there's lost space since "headers" aren't detected the same by Windows. ...
    • Re: Equivalent utilities?
      ... All this about how nice Linux is and "don't worry" etc etc. ... Windows tend to do it at all times, ... Linux will normally manage/handle disk fragmentation but!!! ...
      (alt.os.linux)