Re: Configuring Courier

From: Carlos Sousa (csousa_at_tvtel.pt)
Date: 09/03/04

    Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 02:48:40 +0100
    To: Debian User <debian-user@lists.debian.org>

    Please reply only to the list, as I'm subscribed and you'll probably
    get much better help than mine for your problem. I am *certainly* not
    an expert on this, I'm just trying to share my experience.

    On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 11:38:13 +0100 Upayavira wrote:
    > Carlos Sousa wrote:
    >
    > >On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 20:36:20 +0100 Upayavira wrote:

    [...]

    > >>So, can anyone either (a) help me fix the above or (b) tell me where I
    > >>can get help fixing the above or (c) recommend a SMTP/IMAP/Webmail setup
    > >>that is relatively easy to configure, and that can be installed with
    > >>apt-get from Sarge?
    > >
    > >(a) and (b) - No, sorry.
    > >
    > Oh well. Can anyone else answer (a) or (b)?
    >
    > >(c) My home machine hosts all mail under my care, and uses Sendmail as
    > > MTA, Courier-imap for both secure and unsecure IMAP connections
    > > (local or over the internet), Squirrelmail and Apache-ssl for
    > > secure remote mail retrievals with a web frontend. It's been
    > > working reliably with no maintenance for over a year, surviving
    > > all my daily apt-get dist-upgrades (Debian Testing).
    > >
    > Great. So if you're using courier IMAP, you've got sendmail sending to
    > Maildir folders?

    sendmail -> procmail -> Maildir folders

    I would imagine you could replace sendmail with any other MTA that can
    forward to procmail.

    > The other bit I didn't mention is that I'll need to support mailing
    > lists. I've installed courier-mlm, but haven't got near trying it.

    Sorry, never tried to set up mailing lists.

    > > The most difficult to set up was Courier-imap, mainly due to my
    > > newbieness. The provided documentation was enough, a fair amount
    > > of reading will get you through the whole setup.
    > >
    > I hope it isn't just Courier in general that is hard to set up. What
    > were the problems you had with Courier-imap?

    I never tried the whole Courier solution, I just use Courier-imap. My
    problems with it were mainly that the bits I needed to read were dispersed
    throughout the massive, scary-looking documentation provided. But it's all
    there. I went through this nearly two years ago, the documentation could
    be much better organized now, haven't checked.

    [...]

    > But the idea of having my own server, handling my own mail, with
    > webmail, IMAP, mailing lists, etc, and all under my control, is rather
    > exciting.

    I know the feeling :) Best of luck,

    --
    Carlos Sousa