Re: Configuring Courier

From: Carlos Sousa (csousa_at_tvtel.pt)
Date: 09/03/04

    Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 02:48:40 +0100
    To: Debian User <debian-user@lists.debian.org>

    Please reply only to the list, as I'm subscribed and you'll probably
    get much better help than mine for your problem. I am *certainly* not
    an expert on this, I'm just trying to share my experience.

    On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 11:38:13 +0100 Upayavira wrote:
    > Carlos Sousa wrote:
    >
    > >On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 20:36:20 +0100 Upayavira wrote:

    [...]

    > >>So, can anyone either (a) help me fix the above or (b) tell me where I
    > >>can get help fixing the above or (c) recommend a SMTP/IMAP/Webmail setup
    > >>that is relatively easy to configure, and that can be installed with
    > >>apt-get from Sarge?
    > >
    > >(a) and (b) - No, sorry.
    > >
    > Oh well. Can anyone else answer (a) or (b)?
    >
    > >(c) My home machine hosts all mail under my care, and uses Sendmail as
    > > MTA, Courier-imap for both secure and unsecure IMAP connections
    > > (local or over the internet), Squirrelmail and Apache-ssl for
    > > secure remote mail retrievals with a web frontend. It's been
    > > working reliably with no maintenance for over a year, surviving
    > > all my daily apt-get dist-upgrades (Debian Testing).
    > >
    > Great. So if you're using courier IMAP, you've got sendmail sending to
    > Maildir folders?

    sendmail -> procmail -> Maildir folders

    I would imagine you could replace sendmail with any other MTA that can
    forward to procmail.

    > The other bit I didn't mention is that I'll need to support mailing
    > lists. I've installed courier-mlm, but haven't got near trying it.

    Sorry, never tried to set up mailing lists.

    > > The most difficult to set up was Courier-imap, mainly due to my
    > > newbieness. The provided documentation was enough, a fair amount
    > > of reading will get you through the whole setup.
    > >
    > I hope it isn't just Courier in general that is hard to set up. What
    > were the problems you had with Courier-imap?

    I never tried the whole Courier solution, I just use Courier-imap. My
    problems with it were mainly that the bits I needed to read were dispersed
    throughout the massive, scary-looking documentation provided. But it's all
    there. I went through this nearly two years ago, the documentation could
    be much better organized now, haven't checked.

    [...]

    > But the idea of having my own server, handling my own mail, with
    > webmail, IMAP, mailing lists, etc, and all under my control, is rather
    > exciting.

    I know the feeling :) Best of luck,

    --
    Carlos Sousa
    http://vbc.dyndns.org/

    • Re: help with menu handler
      ... > source of information anywhere in the HTML documentation AFAIK), ... files, web pages, sample code, PDF files, Apple mailing lists such as ... developer site for "kEventCommandUpdateStatus." ...
      (comp.sys.mac.programmer.codewarrior)
    • Re: Mailing lists (was RE: growfs question)
      ... > man pages and other documentation assumes knowledge not in ... The volume of mail on some of the FreeBSD mailing lists can be ... Almost all of the lists are available for reading without subscribing ...
      (freebsd-newbies)
    • Mailing lists (was RE: growfs question)
      ... > man pages and other documentation assumes knowledge not in ... The volume of mail on some of the FreeBSD mailing lists can be ... Almost all of the lists are available for reading without subscribing ...
      (freebsd-newbies)
    • Re: [kde] KTorrent Manual
      ... Much of it is done by volunteers, and documentation kind ... Of course, that lets freedomware compete again, to the extent ... KDE has both techbase, for the technical side of things, ... Then a few years ago I joined a couple kde lists, ...
      (KDE)
    • Re: Anyone heard of Bee Lisp?
      ... so I took a quick look at the documentation. ... CAR/CDR/CONS - seems to work on lists instead of cons cells. ... QUOTE - Prevents evaluation of the parameter. ... STRREAD - reads a string from the console ...
      (comp.lang.lisp)