Re: ressurecting a failed attempt to upgrade to sarge, w/out tossing /home

From: RRPotratz (thunderbolt_at_dustypenguin.com)
Date: 09/08/04

    Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 10:17:33 -0500
    To: matthew bradley <matt@machination.org>

    matthew bradley wrote:

    >Hi All,
    >
    >I'm in a slightly frustrating situation due, primarily, to two things: my
    >relative amateur use of Linux, and this particular problem happening on a
    >Debian Linux box that I didn't originally setup. I'm particularly new to
    >Debian, and new to having to handle many things with linux.
    >
    >I have a Dell PowerEdge 600SC, 2.4Ghz PIV, 80GB hard drive. It was running
    >Woody.
    >
    >At someone's suggestion, I edited my /etc/apt/sources.list to update
    >essentially to sarge (he had done it, he's vastly more experienced, I was
    >trusting, and then he became unavailable -- traveling, I should have
    >waited). I seemed to go through the process just fine, got asked some config
    >questions, I believe I answered them correctly and before I knew it, it was
    >over and I had a couple of errors about a couple of things that didn't
    >totally install (don't remember what they were, but I think I know what they
    >weren't -- didn't say anything LILO for example, that I saw).
    >
    >Anyway, I rebooted to see how everything worked. And all I got was a black
    >screen with some text that spit back my processor speed, cache size, bus
    >speed, etc. And then, on a new line the character "LI" and a blinking cursor
    >after that.
    >
    >Someone suggested that maybe LILO got screwed up or mis-installed. They said
    >I could possibly re-install LILO, from say a net-install CD that I had. I am
    >not sure how to buck the regular install process. When I try, I get pulled
    >into the disk partition tool. I am not sure what I need to do.
    >
    >My goal is to resurrect this system without killing the data in /home.
    >
    >The partition layout looks like, as displayed by the Sarge installer's
    >interface to the partition tool, including a couple of odd little icons:
    >
    >IDE1 master (hda) - 80.0GB WDC WD800BB-75FRA0
    > #1 primary 57.5MB fat16
    > #2 primary 509.9MB swap (odd little smiley next to this)
    > #3 primary 79.4GB ext2 (odd little lightning bold/crooked arrow next
    >to this)
    >
    >Any suggestions, particularly any detailed steps -- the hardest thing to
    >find -- would be very welcome.
    >
    >Best regards,
    >Matt

    You didn't say for sure, but is home part of partition 3 or is it
    mounted on partition1? Also is this a dual boot system with windoze?

    RRP

    • Re: Another Newbie taking the Linux plunge... Install questions!
      ... Is there any flavour of linux that doesnt work well with this ... Linux will be living side by side with some NTFS drives. ... Please tell me if I'm installing correctly for a dual boot system: ... My D partition has the other 200 gigs holding data. ...
      (alt.os.linux)
    • Re: Windows multiboot (aaargh!)
      ... >> The Linux boot floppy is a bit more tricky. ... So I tried adding cfdisk to a spare Debian Woody boot ... > I reduced all the partition sizes by a third. ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: Linux, XP, Win2003 Server multi-boot
      ... Go to PC magazine's web site and do a search on "partitioning for linux" to see articles and reviews about partitioning philosophy and tools. ... Tools are now available in many bootable CD based Linux distributions to resize the C: partition of your disk drive to make room for Linux. ... I finally got the new machine - it came with one of those 'recovery' disks - and a 5 gig recovery partition that isn't supposed to be deleted. ... Once I feel I have everything in order - always lose something when I get a new computer - I'll format that disk and install Linux & Win2003 on it I guess. ...
      (alt.os.linux.redhat)
    • Re: Linux Windows dual boot not restoring properly
      ... Linux is showing the Windows folders in its file manager under the name of what effectively was drive C. ... decreases that Windows partition size in order to make a partition ... And at startup, can scan the hard drives, for partition types it ...
      (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
    • Re: Panasonic HD Recorders - What disk format?
      ... The earlier part of this is more about what may be Linux partitioning, ... might be possible to present the recorder with a larger disk already ... Most DOS/Windows utilities such as FDisk, Ghost, and Partition Magic Pro ... prompts to format it. ...
      (alt.os.linux)