Re: VIA sound problem

From: Tim Kelley (tpk_at_r00tserverz.net)
Date: 09/29/04

    Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 10:41:30 -0500
    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

    On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 11:47:17AM -0400, Hendrik Boom wrote:
    > On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 09:39:02AM -0400, Jim Lynch wrote:
    > >
    > > Just as an aside, I installed CUPS and I can't print. It says there
    > > isn't anything connected to the port, however during install it went out
    > > and found the printer and reported back to me that it was the HP
    > > LaserJet 6L so at some point something found a printer connected to the
    > > port.

    > The only pronter I've been able to get to work with Debian is a networked
    > HP printer. CUPS seems to be able to find things on my LAN, given the IP nomber.
    >
    > My Epson 777 priter is all properly configures, but when I print to
    > it, nothing happens except that after a while CUPS thinks it has
    > been printed.

    Cups works great when you have a postscript printer ... otherwise you
    are using some driver that cups calls via a special type of ppd file
    which could range from "works ok" to "kludgy hack". For
    non-postscript HP printers lprng with if-hp drivers work well. I've
    never had much luck getting modern ink jets working with cups (unless
    they are postscript, which a few are).

    Buy a postscript module for your printer, though, and your unix
    printing problems are over.

    --
      _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _
     / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \

    • Re: Output from Firefox port
      ... 'Print' (Postscript to file) options to produce output on the Firefox ... I'm pretty sure previous versions used to dump output into ...
      (comp.sys.acorn.apps)
    • Re: vulnerabilities of postscript printers
      ... > Suppose a postscript printer has multiple interfaces connected to ... > copying data from one port to another and examining memory. ... > from the printer to the network, ...
      (Bugtraq)
    • IR printing to HP Laserjet 5 MP
      ... Hi, got this old printer, added 16 MB Ram and Postscript, no more paperjams etc.. ... But what puzzles me is the IP port. ...
      (comp.periphs.printers)
    • Re: vulnerabilities of postscript printers
      ... >> Suppose a postscript printer has multiple interfaces connected to ... >> copying data from one port to another and examining memory. ... >> from the printer to the network, ...
      (Bugtraq)
    • Output from Firefox port
      ... 'Print' (Postscript to file) options to produce output on the Firefox ... If you see an onion ring - answer it. ...
      (comp.sys.acorn.apps)