Re: Display Set-Up

From: Alban Browaeys (prahal_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 10/09/04

    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
    Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 10:26:24 +0000 (UTC)

    >I do know the dpkg-reconfigure stuff is a pretty feature for many users,
    >but not for me. I can not believe it has an effect to the configure
    >file, specially you have a wrony one first. May be a video card probe
    >tool can give me some help, but the package reconfigure couldn't do it.

    If you don t have an existing /etc/X11/XF86Config* file it does probe the
    hardware.

    The tool is still unable to do most choice though works is on the way :
    - lots of fix are expected for 4.3.0-dfsg.1.9
     http://necrotic.deadbeast.net/xsf/XFree86/trunk/debian/TODO
    - ubuntu (fully automated for one card install ) does it pretty well
    through hacks sometimes. We can expect some improvments will be included
     in debian.

    At first you could try renaming your old X config, taking care that most
     package suggested by xserver-xfree86 are installed:
    - mdetect for mouse
    - read-edid for monitor frequency autodetection
    - discover for video card detection

    It did autodetected my stuff after i did an X purge (i was going from
     unoffical packages back to the debian ones). Though i expect moving
     the config will be enough.

    Cheers
    Alban

    • Re: [opensuse] Re: starting the virtualbox virtual machines automatically
      ... but it *is* config in that it determines the state of the machine ... how it differs from baseline install. ... Any time something comes up that would otherwise involve writing some custom file into any system directory, ... I create or modify a package and install that package, and/or I figure out how to relocate the custom part to someplace sane, and usually there is already some means to do that and all I have to do is bother to use it. ...
      (SuSE)
    • Bizarre error -- SSIS package configurations
      ... I am having a strange issue while setting up package configurations. ... I created an OLE DB connection 'Config' as a pointer to SQL Server ...
      (microsoft.public.sqlserver.dts)
    • Re: [opensuse] Re: starting the virtualbox virtual machines automatically
      ... I used the example of DNS. ... to the actual config data in /srv or /var doesn't validate your point. ... Like when I back up /etc I make sure that I *AM* following symlinks. ... install that package, and/or I figure out how to relocate the custom ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: [kde] How to learn about all those configuration file values?
      ... There is an Ubuntu Package kde-settings-lowfat. ... having run kde since the kde2 era, ... the network, keeping the kde core informed of what network-based services ... early in the kde startup process, collects the config information from ...
      (KDE)
    • Re: Modeling -- how to support multiple views of same components?
      ... be able to read package settings from a file that is strictly ... However, I also want to support an uber-project configuration file, ... by "strict class" I mean I'm not just keying off a YAML-loaded ... reuse of config parameters and their defaults in multiple places ...
      (comp.lang.ruby)