Re: Display Set-Up

From: Alban Browaeys (prahal_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 10/09/04

    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
    Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 10:26:24 +0000 (UTC)

    >I do know the dpkg-reconfigure stuff is a pretty feature for many users,
    >but not for me. I can not believe it has an effect to the configure
    >file, specially you have a wrony one first. May be a video card probe
    >tool can give me some help, but the package reconfigure couldn't do it.

    If you don t have an existing /etc/X11/XF86Config* file it does probe the
    hardware.

    The tool is still unable to do most choice though works is on the way :
    - lots of fix are expected for 4.3.0-dfsg.1.9
     http://necrotic.deadbeast.net/xsf/XFree86/trunk/debian/TODO
    - ubuntu (fully automated for one card install ) does it pretty well
    through hacks sometimes. We can expect some improvments will be included
     in debian.

    At first you could try renaming your old X config, taking care that most
     package suggested by xserver-xfree86 are installed:
    - mdetect for mouse
    - read-edid for monitor frequency autodetection
    - discover for video card detection

    It did autodetected my stuff after i did an X purge (i was going from
     unoffical packages back to the debian ones). Though i expect moving
     the config will be enough.

    Cheers
    Alban