Problem with CUPS: need to enter password for lp and lpq several times

From: Andreas Ehn (ehn_at_kth.se)
Date: 11/22/04

    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
    Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 00:34:33 +0100

    Hi,

    I'm using CUPS (cupsys-1.1.20final+rc1-10) in Sarge and have a problem
    using any functions that require authentication.

    If I want to print a document using lp, I have to enter my password
    three times before it is accepted. If I want to query the status of the
    printer queue using lpq, I have to enter the password five (usually) or
    four (rarely) times.

    I see similar issues when I'm trying to access the web interface. I can
    login to the main menu without problem, but if I try to access the jobs
    listing, I am prompted for the password for what seems to be an infinite
    number of times.

    I am quite certain that my mistyping the password over and over again is
    not the cause of this problem. :)

    Any ideas?

    Cheers,
    Andreas