Re: Problem with CUPS: need to enter password for lp and lpq several times

From: Tim Kelley (tim_at_it.kpt.cc)
Date: 11/22/04

    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
    Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 18:03:17 -0600

    On Sunday 21 November 2004 17:34, Andreas Ehn wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm using CUPS (cupsys-1.1.20final+rc1-10) in Sarge and have a problem
    > using any functions that require authentication.
    >
    > If I want to print a document using lp, I have to enter my password
    > three times before it is accepted. If I want to query the status of the
    > printer queue using lpq, I have to enter the password five (usually) or
    > four (rarely) times.
    >
    > I see similar issues when I'm trying to access the web interface. I can
    > login to the main menu without problem, but if I try to access the jobs
    > listing, I am prompted for the password for what seems to be an infinite
    > number of times.

    It sounds like you have /jobs set to AuthType Basic / AuthClass User; which I
    believe is the default.

    It should accept your Unix password. Are you using some other sort of
    authentication, such as NIS or ldap?

    If not, I would strace your attempts at using lp to see just what the hell
    cups is doing ...

    like:

    strace lp filename

    --
      _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _
     / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \

    • [Full-Disclosure] Advisory: Dark Age of Camelot - Weak encryption of network traffic exposed persona
      ... Weak encryption in game client exposed customer billing and authentication ... encryption for billing information. ... The login binary has undergone several updates since then. ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • Re: [PHP] Is this the best way?
      ... Why is Jason schreefing again? ... maybe I should edit my authentication function... ... attempting to login. ... really be either attempting an authentication *or* outputting some ...
      (php.general)
    • Authentication Sharing Across Apps
      ... For my part "B" question that I had (Login App was not returning ... authentication to calling app), I found the solution. ... Basically, in both the Login App and Calling App Web.Config, I did ... authenticated connection with SQL server. ...
    • Re: [PHP] Is this the best way?
      ... Jason Pruim schreef: ... I am attempting to add a little error checking for a very simple login system. ... So maybe I should edit my authentication function... ... really be either attempting an authentication *or* outputting some message ...
      (php.general)
    • Unable to get IP Address from DHCP server - 802.1x authentication
      ... user based VLAN authentication with Windows client as ... Authentication method: MD5-Challenge ... Login locally with the cached profile of user1 ... After entering the Radius server username & password the ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.security)