Re: Problem with CUPS: need to enter password for lp and lpq several times

From: Tim Kelley (tim_at_it.kpt.cc)
Date: 11/22/04

    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
    Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 18:03:17 -0600

    On Sunday 21 November 2004 17:34, Andreas Ehn wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm using CUPS (cupsys-1.1.20final+rc1-10) in Sarge and have a problem
    > using any functions that require authentication.
    >
    > If I want to print a document using lp, I have to enter my password
    > three times before it is accepted. If I want to query the status of the
    > printer queue using lpq, I have to enter the password five (usually) or
    > four (rarely) times.
    >
    > I see similar issues when I'm trying to access the web interface. I can
    > login to the main menu without problem, but if I try to access the jobs
    > listing, I am prompted for the password for what seems to be an infinite
    > number of times.

    It sounds like you have /jobs set to AuthType Basic / AuthClass User; which I
    believe is the default.

    It should accept your Unix password. Are you using some other sort of
    authentication, such as NIS or ldap?

    If not, I would strace your attempts at using lp to see just what the hell
    cups is doing ...

    like:

    strace lp filename

    --