Persistent port forwarding without ssh

From: Robert S (robert_s_at_emailme.net.au)
Date: 12/09/04

    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
    Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 21:49:47 +1100

    I am wanting to set up a VPN using ssh between my office and my home Windows
    PCs, using a debian box at the remote end. The setup is as follows:

    HOME (winxp)- - - -<internet>- - - - DEBIAN ----<internal network>----SERVER
    (win2K)

    I have managed to connect (using vnc) to SERVER using PuTTY or ssh at the
    home end thus:

    1. log into DEBIAN from HOME using Putty, forward remote port 5900 to local
    port 5901
    2. forward port from SERVER to DEBIAN using "ssh -C -g -L 5900:server:5900
    debian"
    3. connect vncviewer to local port 5901.

    All is fine with this setup. If I do this with samba using port 139
    however, it fails because I've disabled root ssh logins.

    I'd like to set up the above setup where step 2 is replaced by a persistent
    connection that doesn't require a second password entry. In other words,
    I'd like to forward a port on SERVER to a port on DEBIAN. I don't want to
    use a private key file because that would have to be located on DEBIAN, with
    obvious security problems. I assume that this would require something other
    than ssh.

    Can you do this with iptables - if so - how? stunnel does not seem to do
    it - my syslog on DEBIAN indicates a connection, but nothing happens on the
    HOME end.