Persistent port forwarding without ssh

From: Robert S (robert_s_at_emailme.net.au)
Date: 12/09/04

    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
    Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 21:49:47 +1100

    I am wanting to set up a VPN using ssh between my office and my home Windows
    PCs, using a debian box at the remote end. The setup is as follows:

    HOME (winxp)- - - -<internet>- - - - DEBIAN ----<internal network>----SERVER
    (win2K)

    I have managed to connect (using vnc) to SERVER using PuTTY or ssh at the
    home end thus:

    1. log into DEBIAN from HOME using Putty, forward remote port 5900 to local
    port 5901
    2. forward port from SERVER to DEBIAN using "ssh -C -g -L 5900:server:5900
    debian"
    3. connect vncviewer to local port 5901.

    All is fine with this setup. If I do this with samba using port 139
    however, it fails because I've disabled root ssh logins.

    I'd like to set up the above setup where step 2 is replaced by a persistent
    connection that doesn't require a second password entry. In other words,
    I'd like to forward a port on SERVER to a port on DEBIAN. I don't want to
    use a private key file because that would have to be located on DEBIAN, with
    obvious security problems. I assume that this would require something other
    than ssh.

    Can you do this with iptables - if so - how? stunnel does not seem to do
    it - my syslog on DEBIAN indicates a connection, but nothing happens on the
    HOME end.

    • Re: Continuous brute force attempt from own server !!!
      ... I have a debian server functional at my place which is attached with a leased line connection. ... This debian box administer a remote opensuse linux server through this debian box and I use pubkey auth ... If I bloack the ssh connection limit through firewall at the remote box, It actually blocks me to log into in further. ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: Persistent port forwarding without ssh
      ... > I am wanting to set up a VPN using ssh between my office and my home Windows ... using a debian box at the remote end. ... You could use masquarading on the debian machine to forward some port ... on the debian machine to the server and then when you connect ssh to that port ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: Persistent port forwarding without ssh
      ... } I am wanting to set up a VPN using ssh between my office and my home Windows ... using a debian box at the remote end. ... log into DEBIAN from HOME using Putty, forward remote port 5900 to local ... } connection that doesn't require a second password entry. ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: ssh communication issue
      ... But, when we ssh from the internet, there are long pauses where i/o is not displayed/echoed to the screen on our Debian servers. ... Are you coming from machines that don't have proper reverse DNS entries on the new Debian machines, whereas the old SCO machine has a proper reverse DNS entry?) ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: Install Debian 4.0 to watch DVD video
      ... >>> If I want to another linux box connect to the Debian box using ssh, ... I see the ssh has ... >>> already in the debian box, but I guess it is the ssh client, not sshd. ... reinstall or better purge and install to recreate all missing config ...
      (Debian-User)