Kernel 2.6.x, Gnome, and repeating keys

From: Michal R. Hoffmann (
Date: 12/20/04

    Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 12:26:56 +0100
    To: Debian Users <>

    I have strange problem - after installing "home compiled" kernel 2.6.x
    (tried 2.6.3 and 2.6.10-rc3 already) my Gnome env. goes crazy. While
    typing I get repeating keys in the random manner:

    How muchhhhhhh wood would aaaaa wooooooodddddddccccchuck

    Sometimes no such effect for few minutes, and then non-stop. Same with
    mouse, when I click the menu it shows/hides/shows/hides a number of
    times, just as I'd click many times.

    Another issue - screensaver starts randomly, most often when I click a
    window. Strange.

    How can I get the system normal? In 2.4.x kernels it is ok, but I wanted
    some "new features". Moreover, in text console it seems to be ok either.
    Debian/unstable, kernel downloaded from and compiled for SMP,
    I have 2xPII, keyboard/mouse are PS/2.

    ***  Michal R. Hoffmann        |    <>      ***
    ***             -= member of: KNM, ZUKiH, HCKU =-                   ***
    To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to