debootstrapping via knoppix, and what next?

From: David T-G (davidtg-debian_at_justpickone.org)
Date: 01/05/05

    Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 06:08:32 -0500
    To: Debian users <debian-user@lists.debian.org>

    Hi, all --

    I am still continuing my quest for a debootstrapping system that works;
    attempts in the past may actually have gotten me a real system BUT then
    couldn't get me going from a local mirror.

    I pulled down Knoppix 3.7 the other day and was playing with it and saw
    the knoppix-installer info and decided to try it out. I installed into
    the swap slice on my PC and was able to boot 2.4 and 2.6; woo hoo. I
    couldn't do a distupdate because Deb didn't know how to talk to my WNIC
    but that's OK because this isn't really either of the boxes in question.

    You may recall that I'm at the bottom of a really lousy DSL connection; I
    don't trust that it will stay up long enough to do a full install, much
    less at the lousy speeds I suffer here. Thus, I would like to create a
    local mirror for installation -- but, as noted above, that has never come
    to fruition.

    The whole reason for this [mis]adventure is the interesting server I
    have; it has a 4-line LCD display and a quad NIC and no keyboard, video,
    or CD. I am tired of the work of LFS and I want a well-supported distro
    with security updates done for me. I need a Linux that is installable
    through chroot and is easily updated because I don't want to take the
    thing apart and swap hard drives around now or ever. [If anyone wants to
    tell me how easy and robust and secure Gentoo is I'll listen, but that
    seemed almost as much work as LFS so it will be a hard sell.]

    I also don't want to take my first pass at this on the server, a fragile
    node in the household. It would be much better to test on a spare box
    first. That, then, also leads to why a mirror would be useful (I'd save
    myself *two* frustrating WAN installs).

    The test machine is a typical PC and I plan to get it installed and then
    upgrade it to Sarge (which I plan to run on the server mentioned above).
    I should be able to knoppix-installer it and then, I believe,

      apt-get distupgrade

    to fill in all of the missing pieces (how do I specify the software set?)
    and maybe or maybe not upgrade to Sarge; it's still unclear to me whether
    or not Knoppix 3.7 is Woody or Sarge in the first place (though I *think*
    the latter).

    Can anyone give me pointers on whether or not this is a sane approach and
    how I can expect it to work, as well as (probably in the other thread I
    am about to start) how to build a local mirror? I'd sure appreciate it!

    PS -- Does anyone have subscription info for a knoppix-installer list?

    TIA & Happy New Year!

    :-D

    --
    David T-G
    davidtg@justpickone.org

    • Re: PXE install, without internet?
      ... So I managed to install a PXE server and successfully booted debian ... You can create local mirror of repos. ... Yes, with 20 machines to install via PXE boot, setting up a local mirror ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: How do I install older software versions?
      ... you can try to install the .deb files directly using the "dpkg -i" ... if the package is available in the cache. ... I use debmirror to maintain a local mirror of lenny binaries. ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: Creating a local RPM repository
      ... and then in the remote repository. ... Or do you install and remove things frequently? ... a local mirror or setting up something like IntelligentMirror. ...
      (Fedora)