how to install dpkg from scratch?

From: Bahadir Balban (bahadir.balban_at_gmail.com)
Date: 01/13/05

    Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 12:14:16 -0800
    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

    Hi,

    I have a filesystem where I want to add debian packages. How could I
    install dpkg from scratch so that I can use it to install packages?

    I extracted dpkg 1.10 with its dependant packages. (dselect and ncurses)

    I have a /usr/lib/dpkg directory with a status file and some other,
    but when I do:

    dpkg -i somepackage.deb, it fails with not finding the updates file.

    I dont care about dependencies as I am already aware of them for the
    packages I want to install. I simply want dpkg to install the files in
    the right places and perhaps run the postinst preinst scripts as what
    -i does.

    Do you know how to install dpkg to work like this?

    Your help will be greatly appreciated.

    Many thanks,
    Bahadir

    • Re: Package system totaly a complete mess
      ... Since I am running a fairly minimal system (in average 800-900 packages are installed on my computers) it does not take ages, even if the aptitude's solver makes things very slow when something is broken. ... It is also impossible to select text from it to copy paste, and suffer various limitations when you are downloading/installing stuff: you can not then change state of packages, there is no possibility to install a package at the point where all it's dependencies has been downloaded, or better to unpack it while waiting, it can not install things in a different place than system's defaults (unlike dpkg which is able to, so it's not a dpkg's limitation, and it would make it possible to manage distant computers by mounting their partitions through sshfs or whatever. ... dep-trace slower than dpkg round-trip install but designed to be far ...
      (Debian-User)
    • experimenting with dpkg: installing on a different system
      ... Yesterday, I was experimenting with dpkg, especially with the parameter "--root" which change the targeted system. ... using gparted to partition and format according to my wishes (a portable system able to boot from kali live-cd, tail live-cd, an installed Debian testing, a partition dedicated to experimenting another linux-based distro, and a partition to boot a BSD kernel based system. ... Identifying the first set of packages to install so that things would be configured by standard dpkg's methodology: ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: experimenting with dpkg: installing on a different system
      ... What I tried to do was basically to "replace" the debian installer: ... Identifying the first set of packages to install so that things would be ... I want dpkg to be correctly configured, not only a hand-made tree, so it ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Package in poor state interferes with apt operations
      ... The following packages have unmet dependencies. ... legner1:~# apt-get -f install ... warning - old pre-removal script returned error exit status 1 ... dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ... ...
      (Debian-User)
    • apt-get problems
      ... over 200 packages and installed most of them bombing out near the end. ... xrdb python-gmenu gnome-games-data ... Install these packages without verification? ... dpkg: warning - old pre-removal script returned error exit status 1 ...
      (Ubuntu)