how to install dpkg from scratch?

From: Bahadir Balban (bahadir.balban_at_gmail.com)
Date: 01/13/05

    Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 12:14:16 -0800
    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

    Hi,

    I have a filesystem where I want to add debian packages. How could I
    install dpkg from scratch so that I can use it to install packages?

    I extracted dpkg 1.10 with its dependant packages. (dselect and ncurses)

    I have a /usr/lib/dpkg directory with a status file and some other,
    but when I do:

    dpkg -i somepackage.deb, it fails with not finding the updates file.

    I dont care about dependencies as I am already aware of them for the
    packages I want to install. I simply want dpkg to install the files in
    the right places and perhaps run the postinst preinst scripts as what
    -i does.

    Do you know how to install dpkg to work like this?

    Your help will be greatly appreciated.

    Many thanks,
    Bahadir