mknod - how do I make a device re-appear after re-boot

From: Steve Turnbull (
Date: 01/28/05

    Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 14:28:31 +0000

    My setup: Debian unstable, KDE3.3, Sony Vaio VGN-A217M laptop

    I need a device in /dev/ called sonypi which is required for my Sony
    Laptop FN keys etc.

    I run this command as root;
    mknod /dev/sonypi c 10 63

    This works fine, and when I run my startup script for the sonypid
    module, the FN keys work as well.

    The startup scripts are all fine and are linked to correctly from rc5.
    The problem is that when I reboot my laptop, the sonypi device in /dev
    is no longer there.

    My question is: how do I make the /dev/sonypi device permanent?

    I don't know what more information I could provide? Please say if there is...

    To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to