Re: performance problem

From: Wim De Smet (kromagg_at_gmail.com)
Date: 01/29/05

    Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 00:37:47 +0100
    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

    On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 00:22:11 +0100, tobias <t.schlegelmilch@web.de> wrote:

    > Hello everybody,
    >
    > recently I decided to switch from fedora to Debian Sarge. The
    > installation via the netinstall disk image went through smoothly and I
    > am a happy new Debain user now.
    >
    > But: there is a strange performance problem which wasn't there before.
    > Using Gnome or KDE every couple of seconds the mouse poiner "stumbles",
    > regardless if I use a USB or ps/2 device. There is also a short delay
    > moving windows or even displaying text while typing. Moreover smooth
    > playing of mp3s is not possible - seems to be the same problem.
    >
    > Using top or similar programs I wasn't able to identify a process which
    > eats up my system performance. The CPU has something around 5%, load
    > average around 0.4.
    >
    > Has anybody encountered similar problems? I would appreciate hints how
    > to deal with this problem.
    > Or could it be that the hardware is too old? It's a 700MHz Athlon,
    > 512MB... should be able to play mp3, I think. On fedora, there was a 2.4
    > kernel, now it's 2.6.8. Naively, I would expected a performance gain.

    You probably don't have DMA enabled on your hard drives. Install
    hdparm, read its docs and use it to check out if this is the problem.

    greets,
    Wim

    • XP SP2
      ... impressed with installation, It went smoothly and the deploys are working ... the firewall has been on since before the computer returned to the network ... Messenger all into one update along with the new features. ... tests with SUS and see if it continues to live up to smooth deployment. ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)
    • Re: performance problem
      ... tobias wrote: ... > recently I decided to switch from fedora to Debian Sarge. ... > installation via the netinstall disk image went through smoothly and I ... Moreover smooth ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: Live SKY TV Sticky and Jerky
      ... playing a DVD in MCE2005 is smooth as you would expect it to be. ... What MCE compatible decoder software did you install when your reinstalled ... The problem on Vista may be due to not having the latest Vista drivers for ... working installation became unstable after nearly 2 years ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
    • Re: Maxium dimming range for cold cathode in the USA
      ... You can usually get a longer dimming range by oversizing the ... Unfortunately, Lithonia uses an 8 bit dimming range, and the ... Vantage - Dims to 15% and is very smooth but flickers below ... the owners of the installation will be ...
      (sci.engr.lighting)
    • Re: performance problem
      ... > installation via the netinstall disk image went through smoothly and I ... Moreover smooth ... hda: ...
      (Debian-User)